Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Karr David Karr is offline

Default How to start page numbering on the page after the TOC?

How do you set up page numbering in a document so that you get page 1 on the page after the TOC?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Mar 16, 4:11*pm, David Karr wrote:

How do you set up page numbering in a document so that you get page 1 on the page after the TOC?

Simplest is to insert a Section Break Next Right Page after the ToC,
and restart page numbering with the new section. (You can then also
number your front-matter pages with romal numerals, and it doesn't
matter how many pages the ToC ends up occupying.)

Specifics on how to do those two things vary with your version of Word
(2003? 2007?)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Peter says, specifics vary by version, but see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm for the general
principles and, for specifics:

"How to set up a document with front matter numbered separately"
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm (Word 2003 and
earlier)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...atter_2007.htm (Word 2007
and 2010)

http://word.mvps.org

"David Karr" wrote in message
How do you set up page numbering in a document so that you get page 1 on
the page after the TOC?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Hodgson Steve Hodgson is offline

On 2011-03-17 15:44:47 +0000, David Karr said:

Ok. Now, in my page numbering, I'm trying to say "Page X of Y" in
section 2, but no page numbering in the first section. I've got that
working. However, now I need to change the "Y" value. It's a 10 page
document, but I don't want to count the first two pages, as they are
the title page and TOC. The first page after the TOC says "Page 1 of
10". The last page says "Page 8 of 10". I need to change that to
"Page 1 of 8" and "Page 8 of 8".

It sounds like you need to replace 'Y' with a SectionPages field. In
Word 2011 this is done via Insert|Field... and then either look through
all fields or the 'Numbering' section.

Hope this helps.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 2011-03-17 15:44:47 +0000, David Karr said:

Ok. *Now, in my page numbering, I'm trying to say "Page X of Y" in
section 2, but no page numbering in the first section. *I've got that
working. *However, now I need to change the "Y" value. *It's a 10 page
document, but I don't want to count the first two pages, as they are
the title page and TOC. *The first page after the TOC says "Page 1 of
10". *The last page says "Page 8 of 10". *I need to change that to
"Page 1 of 8" and "Page 8 of 8".

It sounds like you need to replace 'Y' with a SectionPages field. In
Word 2011 this is done via Insert|Field... and then either look through
all fields or the 'Numbering' section.

Or, as Suzanne noted, just Reveal Field Codes and type the change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hard to tell from the threading, but it appears from the timing of messages
that in fact that's what David did.

http://word.mvps.org