tommynomad tommynomad is offline
Junior Member

Default Retaining Styles from one Doc to the next

Hi.

I'm a grad student. Styles have greatly helped me with my dissertation. But I've come across a curiosity, and was hoping someone could enlighten me.

One my home PC (Sony VAIO running XP Pro & Word 2008(?)) every Word document I open has the same set of styles (which I've created) show up in the styles menu, without me doing anything. I've searched through the options and can find nothing.

On my work PC (Dell, with XP & Word 2007) any new document will open with only the generic styles available. I've been forced to create all my docs at work off an existing one, and then deleteing all the text before starting anew.

Can anyone please tell me how to retain the style sheet for all Word docs?

Thank you very much.
speedy80 speedy80 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Philippines
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynomad View Post
Hi.

I'm a grad student. Styles have greatly helped me with my dissertation. But I've come across a curiosity, and was hoping someone could enlighten me.

One my home PC (Sony VAIO running XP Pro & Word 2008(?)) every Word document I open has the same set of styles (which I've created) show up in the styles menu, without me doing anything. I've searched through the options and can find nothing.

On my work PC (Dell, with XP & Word 2007) any new document will open with only the generic styles available. I've been forced to create all my docs at work off an existing one, and then deleteing all the text before starting anew.

Can anyone please tell me how to retain the style sheet for all Word docs?

Thank you very much.
Hi there!

Are your custom styles based on a custom template? If it is try this solution.

1. Open one of your documents which has the custom styles.
2. Click on the Office Button
3. Click Word Options
4. Click Add-Ins
5. In the Manage drop-down list, select Templates and click Go.
6. This will open the Templates and Add-ins window. Select the Templates tab then click Attach.
7. The Attach Templates window will open which will let you search for the template where your document's styles are based. Once you find it, select it and click Open.
8. Click OK.

Hope this works!

Last edited by speedy80 : December 1st 10 at 04:06 PM
tommynomad tommynomad is offline
Junior Member

I'll give it a try: thank you very much!