Mike B

Default How to embed preview image by default, and in batch retrospectivel

Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by default for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it manually for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

To do this, you would have to check the box in each template you use,
including Normal.dot. But I would strongly discourage it, as the preview
adds little or nothing in most cases and dramatically increases file size.
Previews can be useful for templates that contain graphics on the first
page, but beyond that, Word's Preview view in File Open actually shows a
much more useful preview for documents saved without a preview picture than
for those with one. Try it.

"Mike B" wrote in message
Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by default

for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties

each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would

guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in

various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it manually

for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike B

Default How to embed preview image by default, and in batch retrospect

Thanks, Suzanne. As a novice, can you tell me what you mean by checking the
box in each template you use? If I can locate my normal.dot, is it a case of
opening that (just right-click - open??) and setting embed preview there?
Whenever I open a new document, under Tools Templates and Add-Ins there are
a couple ticked everytime (e.g. pdfmaker)... not sure what loads those... do
I have to ensure embed preview is set in all of those too?

I guess for my second original question (applying embed preview to a batch
of existing files)... there is no easy solution?

I take the point about increased file size, and indeed when I originally
searched these boards on this issue, most queries were about why their files
were so big for no apparent reason!

Thanks,

Mike

"Mike B" wrote in message
Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by default

for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties

each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would

guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in

various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it manually

for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

There may well be a VBA approach to changing the setting in existing
documents, but as a noncoder I can't help with that. And yes, you can edit
Normal.dot just like any other document or template; open it for editing
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm for tips),
make the change, and Save.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To do this, you would have to check the box in each template you use,
including Normal.dot. But I would strongly discourage it, as the preview
adds little or nothing in most cases and dramatically increases file

size.
Previews can be useful for templates that contain graphics on the first
page, but beyond that, Word's Preview view in File Open actually shows a
much more useful preview for documents saved without a preview picture

than
for those with one. Try it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mike B" wrote in message
Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by

default
for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties

each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would

guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in

various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a

preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it

manually
for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike B

I opened up normal.dot, and checked Embed Preview. I also made other changes
(e.g. to Author). I saved and exited.

Then when I open a new Word document, under File Properties, the Embed
Preview is NOT checked by default, but the other changes I made ARE
reflected. So it seems that some of the normal.dot Properties are honoured,
whereas others (Embed Preview) are not?

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

"Mike B" wrote in message
Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by default

for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties

each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would

guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in

various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it manually

for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. I don't have anything
labeled "Embed Preview" in the Properties dialog. Rather, I have a box
labeled "Save preview picture" on the Summary tab. Is this what you're
talking about? It's possible that Word does disregard this property for
Normal.dot because it would affect so many documents adversely.

"Mike B" wrote in message
Firstly, how do I make sure that a preview image is embedded by

default
for
each new Word file I open, without having to go into File Properties

each
time to check the appropriate box? (Same issue for Excel, but I would

guess
the same answer applies.)

Secondly, where I have a bunch of existing Word (and Excel) files in

various
different folders, is there an easy (automated) way of embedding a

preview
image in each of them retrospectively... i.e. without doing it

manually
for
each?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike B

Sorry, yes, that's the one I meant. It seems to ignore this particular
setting, at least for me. Seems a shame to prevent users doing that,
especially those who can appreciate the potential downside.

Thanks for helping out.

Mike