Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlawson jlawson is offline

Default Having trouble with a "If, Then" calculation in a form field, Please Help!

I have the "If Then" statement working in it's simplest form but I
think i have the formatting on the calculation wrong. This is what I
have so far:

{=if (A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1}

OR

=IF (3000900,(3000-900)-((3000-900)*.70)+900,3000)

Can anyone tell me what it is I am doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi jlawson,

Apart from a missing ')' and what might be an erroneous reference to B2,
your formula looks and works fine. You should have:
{=if(A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1)}
The result of the calculation using the values you posted is 1530.

What result were you expecting?

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"jlawson" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have the "If Then" statement working in it's simplest form but I
think i have the formatting on the calculation wrong. This is what I
have so far:

{=if (A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1}

OR

=IF (3000900,(3000-900)-((3000-900)*.70)+900,3000)

Can anyone tell me what it is I am doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlawson jlawson is offline

Thank you, Macropod

The problem I am getting is that the field is copying Hospital cost
field. This is what I have so far:

{=if(fHospCostfDedLeft,(fHospCost - fDedLeft)-((fHospCost -
fDedLeft)*fPer)+fDedLeft,fHospCost)}

The formfield bookmarks a

fHospCost = Estimated hospital charges to the patient
fDedLeft = How much of a deductible the patient has
fPer = How much of a percentage the patient's insurance company will
pay after the deductible is met.

If I put in $3000 in the estimated hospital charges field, $900 in the
deductible field and .70 in the percent field then the formula just
copies the $3000. It does not do any of the calculations.

macropod wrote:
Hi jlawson,

Apart from a missing ')' and what might be an erroneous reference to B2,
your formula looks and works fine. You should have:
{=if(A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1)}
The result of the calculation using the values you posted is 1530.

What result were you expecting?

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"jlawson" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have the "If Then" statement working in it's simplest form but I
think i have the formatting on the calculation wrong. This is what I
have so far:

{=if (A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1}

OR

=IF (3000900,(3000-900)-((3000-900)*.70)+900,3000)

Can anyone tell me what it is I am doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi jlawson,

Unless you're using a form, with fields set to 'calculate on exit', field
calculations in Word aren't automatic - you need to select the field (or the
whole document for all fields) and press F9.

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

oups.com...

macropod wrote:
Hi jlawson,

Apart from a missing ')' and what might be an erroneous reference to B2,
your formula looks and works fine. You should have:
{=if(A1B1,(A1-B1)-((A1-B2)*C1)+B1,A1)}
The result of the calculation using the values you posted is 1530.

What result were you expecting?

Cheers

--
macropod