mschuyler

Default Multiple indexes not formatting properly

(Word 2003) Word provides the \f option to create multiple indexes in one
document. For example, the \f "c" option allows you to create XE tages like
this: {XE "Schuyler, Michael" \f "c" } which will be included in the "c"
index only, not the default index without a \f option.

the way you create an index is click on Insert - Field - Index. You are
given some options. At the bottom of the box it shows "Field Codes" Click on
that and you are given the opportunity to aff the \f option like this: INDEX
\f "c"

Now the PROBLEM. In theory you can then HIDE the field codes, which allows
you to click on INDEX and put in formatting such as right justification, 2
columns, etc.

HOWEVER, If you attemnpt to format the index you get the normal defaul index
again, period. The only way out of the formatting area is OK or Cancel, OK
starts the build, but ALWAYS with the default index.

The ONLY way to build an index with the \f option is to insert the \f code
and hit OK on THAT page, which gives you the optional index, but does not
allow you to format it.

Help! I'd like to format my second, third, and fourth index.