Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

Default Can't delete section break (next page)

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi Bobbi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble deleting a section break in Word 2003. Here are some steps you can try:
  1. First, make sure that you're in Print Layout view. You can switch to this view by clicking on the "View" menu and selecting "Print Layout."
  2. Next, turn on the display of non-printing characters. You can do this by clicking on the "Tools" menu, selecting "Options," clicking on the "View" tab, and then checking the box next to "All" under "Formatting marks."
  3. Look for the section break that you want to delete. It should look like a double dotted line with the words "Section Break (Next Page)" next to it.
  4. Click your cursor just before the section break. Make sure that you're not highlighting any text.
  5. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. The section break should disappear.

If these steps don't work, there may be some other formatting issues in your document that are preventing you from deleting the section break. In that case, you may need to try some additional troubleshooting steps or seek further assistance.
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi Bobbi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble deleting a section break in Word 2003. Here are some steps you can try to remove it:
  1. First, make sure you're in Print Layout view. You can switch to this view by clicking on the "View" menu and selecting "Print Layout."
  2. Next, turn on the display of non-printing characters. You can do this by clicking on the "Tools" menu, selecting "Options," clicking on the "View" tab, and then checking the box next to "All" under "Formatting marks."
  3. Look for the section break you want to delete. It will appear as a double dotted line with the words "Section Break (Next Page)" in the middle.
  4. Place your cursor just before the section break and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. If the section break doesn't delete, try pressing the "Backspace" key instead.
  5. If the section break still won't delete, try selecting the entire section before and after the break by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text. Then, press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  6. If none of these steps work, it's possible that the section break is part of a larger formatting issue in your document. In this case, you may need to manually adjust the formatting to remove the break. You can do this by selecting the text before and after the break, clicking on the "Format" menu, selecting "Paragraph," and then adjusting the "Page break before" setting.

I hope these steps help you delete the section break you're having trouble with. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi Bobbi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble deleting a section break in Word 2003. Here are some steps you can try to remove it:
  1. First, make sure that you're in Print Layout view. You can switch to this view by clicking on the "View" menu and selecting "Print Layout."
  2. Next, turn on the display of non-printing characters by clicking on the "Show/Hide" button on the toolbar. This button looks like a paragraph symbol (ΒΆ). This will allow you to see the section break that you want to delete.
  3. Click just before the section break that you want to delete. Make sure that your cursor is on the page that comes before the break.
  4. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. This should remove the section break.

If that doesn't work, you can try the following steps:
  1. Click on the "View" menu and select "Header and Footer."
  2. Look for the section break in the header or footer area. It may be easier to see it here than in the main body of the document.
  3. Click just before the section break and press "Delete" on your keyboard.

If neither of these methods work, it's possible that the section break is part of a larger problem with your document formatting. In that case, you may need to seek further assistance or consider rebuilding the document from scratch.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Try selecting the previous and following paragraph marks as well, then delete.
Does this work?
DeanH

"Bobbi" wrote:

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi

"Bobbi" wrote:

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't
go
away?

Bobbi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Bobbi,

To remove the section break, one method is to be in Print layout view turn on the nonprinting character display using the show/hide
icon from the toolbar. Place your cursor just before the section break indicator in your document and tap the delete key twice.

===============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

Hi, Bob-

No, that's not working for me either. (That's what I normally try to do.) It
deletes other stuff than the section break!

My problem always occurs in documents where I switch from one column (for
headings) to two columns (for text) using section breaks. Most of the
section breaks are continuous, but sometimes I need to use a section break-

However, I think it's easier to delete in Normal View, not print layout.

Bobbi

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Bobbi" wrote in message
No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Now I understand, this in relation to a Multi-Column format.
This can cause aggrevation and I have had the same problem in the past.
Section Break Continuous is the best option to use for Column format
changes, one at start and one at end of the multiple column section (then end
one as you probably know helps with balancing the column lengths).
Is the Next Page break you wish to delete at the start, middle or end of the
multi-column section?
Is the NextPage break the one that starts the multi-column section?
If so, instead of deleting, have you tried changing the break to a
continuous and then use Page Break Before paragraph setting to accomplish the
desired effect.
DeanH

"Bobbi" wrote in message
No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

Hi, Dean-

You're right that using Section Break Continuous and then Page Break seems
to be the best way to go. But it seems to be easier to delete the Section
Break Next Page while in Normal View. However, I'm just not gonna use it any
more.

Bobbi

"Bobbi" wrote in message
No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For more on what Suzanne is talking about, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bobbi" wrote in message
No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you
insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
a d a d is offline

Default delete / remove section break (next page)

check out:

http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak...on-breaks.html

i guess all you have to do is put the cursor BEFORE the break and just 'delete' it rather than trying to 'backspace' it

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:29 AM Bobbi wrote:

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just will not go
away?

Bobbi

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:23 AM Dean wrote:

Try selecting the previous and following paragraph marks as well, then delete.
Does this work?
DeanH

"Bobbi" wrote:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:49 PM Bobbi wrote:

No, it does not work. I have had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it is almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi

"Bobbi" wrote in message

On Monday, February 18, 2008 4:25 AM Stefan Blom wrote:

For more on what Suzanne is talking about, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

Book Review: Excel 2010 - The Missing Manual [OReilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...l-oreilly.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
a d a d is offline

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:09 AM a d wrote:

check out:

http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak...on-breaks.html

i guess all you have to do is put the cursor BEFORE the break and just 'delete' it rather than trying to 'backspace' it

Lucene.Net Indexing Searching Entry Level Tutorial
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-tutorial.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:10 AM a d wrote:

check out:

http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak...on-breaks.html

i guess all you have to do is put the cursor BEFORE the break and just 'delete' it rather than trying to 'backspace' it

Kentico CMS for ASP.NET Sites
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...net-sites.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] nancyclaxton@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:29:37 AM UTC-5, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

Thanks Bob!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] mgrossnick@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 10:29:37 PM UTC-8, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

I am having the same problem and none of this is working for me. I can see the section break, but cannot delete it(either way listed) or highlight it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] patceg@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 10:29:37 PM UTC-8, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

I am having the same problem and none of this is working for me. I can see the section break, but cannot delete it(either way listed) or highlight it.

Mgros, I found that if I had track changes turned on it would retain the next page section break. I had to turn track changes off to make the delete possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] julyruby1977@gmail.com is offline

"Bobbi" wrote in message ...
No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Bob Buckland, THANK YOU!!! Your advice worked perfectly for my document. Its a huge policy manual and I have sections galore. THANK YOU!!!

Claire
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] cvigil@edgcomb-law.com is offline

On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 10:29:37 PM UTC-8, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

I am having the same problem and none of this is working for me. I can see the section break, but cannot delete it(either way listed) or highlight it.

Mgros, I found that if I had track changes turned on it would retain the next page section break. I had to turn track changes off to make the delete possible.

Wow! That worked perfectly. After wasting a lot of time, I just turned off Track Changes, deleted the page break, and turned Track Changes back on. Perfect! Thank you so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] thiago.aydos@gmail.com is offline

THAAAANK YOUU!!! YOU SAVED MY LIFE.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] ezequielcontreras4@gmail.com is offline

YOU ARE MY SAVIOR. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Excuse me for the caps, but I have spent almost 5 hours trying to figure how to delete those nasty section breaks in my book. Just happens to be that you literaly "delete" it.
Once more, Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] tkirk@nevada.unr.edu is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 10:23:32 AM UTC-8, Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown wrote:
Hi Bobbi,

To remove the section break, one method is to be in Print layout view turn on the nonprinting character display using the show/hide
icon from the toolbar. Place your cursor just before the section break indicator in your document and tap the delete key twice.

THANK YOU!!! I highlighted and pressed the delete button TWICE, quickly, and it finally worked. Only post that has helped! My thesis project thanks you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] rogerverney@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 5:29:37 PM UTC+11, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

This will work:
1. once in your document select "outline" view
2. turn on markers
3. put the cursor over the left hand edge of the break line it will turn black
4. press delete.
5. remember that it will probably re-format depending what you had in each section.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] young.bennett@gmail.com is offline

Mgros, I found that if I had track changes turned on it would retain the next page section break. I had to turn track changes off to make the delete possible.

OH - MY - GOD. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] cantleberryj@gmail.com is offline

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:12:09 AM UTC+5:30, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 5:29:37 PM UTC+11, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

This will work:
1. once in your document select "outline" view
2. turn on markers
3. put the cursor over the left hand edge of the break line it will turn black
4. press delete.
5. remember that it will probably re-format depending what you had in each section.

YES!! after trying every other method listed... the only way that worked for me was the select the "outline view"- it never turned black for me though.... just partially highlighted it. But they finally deleted. My 100 page document makes sense again. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] lw357888@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 10:42:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 5:29:37 PM UTC+11, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

This will work:
1. once in your document select "outline" view
2. turn on markers
3. put the cursor over the left hand edge of the break line it will turn black
4. press delete.
5. remember that it will probably re-format depending what you had in each section.

Thank you sooooooooo much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] wendieharris55@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 12:29:37 AM UTC-6, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

Thank you, roger!!! Outline View finally worked!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] leahkuber@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, 13 February 2008 08:29:37 UTC+2, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

I need to work in Track Changes so turning it off was not an option.
But I got it to work as follows:
1. Make sure both sections (before and after the break) have the same margins, orientation, header, etc.
2. insert a blank line before the section break
3. My second section started with a table. Use Ctrl-Shift-Enter to insert a blank line before the table.
4. Select from the first blank line to the second, so the section break is included in the middle.
5. Then click Delete and the whole thing went away including the break.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jkranzow@apu.edu is offline

On Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 10:29:37 PM UTC-8, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

With all characters showing In DRAFT view I highlighted and deleted.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] winter@hksltd.ca is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 1:29:37 AM UTC-5, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

This problem exists in 2013

I had to change to web layout. then I was able to highlight and delete
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] timpolaszek@gmail.com is offline

Click before break, then hold 'fn' key and press backspace once. It forward deletes like a PC.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] katewq@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 8:31:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Click before break, then hold 'fn' key and press backspace once. It forward deletes like a PC.

YES YES YES YES. The fn key plus delete worked, when nothing else would. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] mahsa.khoei@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 12:29:37 AM UTC-6, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

The best way that I have found working so far is as follows:
click "Show hide" button on home to see the spaces and of course the section break that you want to remove. Then Hit ctrl+G, then on the "Find and Replace" task bar that opens, go to "Replace" tab then where it says "Find what" type ^b and click find next, once you made sure that its the same section break that you want to remove, hit the Replace button on the same task bar. Make sure the "replace with" part is left blank. Cheers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jdyer@etmpower.com is offline

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 8:18:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 1:29:37 AM UTC-5, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

This problem exists in 2013

I had to change to web layout. then I was able to highlight and delete

I have Word 2010 and this didn't work for me. Any other ideas?
Here's my situation:
Page 50 has 2 columns at the top. I have a "section break (continuous)" in the middle of page 50 and then 1 column below the continuous section break. I have 2 lines of text and then a "section break (next page)" [this is the one I want to delete]. On page 51 I have 1 column. The problem is that when I delete the "Section break (next page)", the "section break (continuous)" converts itself to a "section break (next page)". This happens regardless of whether or not I am in Print layout, web layout, or outline views.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] melgaudart@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 10:31:14 PM UTC+10, wrote:
Click before break, then hold 'fn' key and press backspace once. It forward deletes like a PC.

Thank you!!!!!!! So much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jflexneil@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, 13 February 2008 06:29:37 UTC, Bobbi wrote:
Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

Print Layout and Outline View methods di not work for me. Switching to Web Layout did allow me to delete the Section Break (Next Page) in Word v16.32 running on Mac.

Phew, finally!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] vivlin768@gmail.com is offline

woah this helped me ... in 2020!