monkey1964

Default Document with Section Breaks & Footers

I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!
garfield-n-odie

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes, change the { NUMPAGES } field in
the footer to a { SECTIONPAGES } field, and press Alt+F9 again to
display field results.

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

I did what you suggested but the SectionPages field keeps defaulting to a
total page count of 1 instead of 2. So my footers read "S1 of S1, S2 of S1".
I've updated the fields but it still comes out the same way.
Any suggestions?

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

Thanks. That problem is fixed.
I have another issue and I don't know if or how it can be done.
Example: I have a document with 19 pages with a need to be used for
different purposes.
There are two pages in section 1 with page numbering "X of 19".
There are 4 pages in section 2 with page numbering based on it's own section
pages "SX of S4".
Sections 3-5 have the remainder of the pages numbered like section 1 "X of
19".
I would like to be able to have sections 1 and 3-5 have the page numbering
say X of 15. The pages in section 2 will eventually be pulled out to be a
stand alone document. Sections 1, 3-5 will also remain together as a stand
alone document. And thirdly all sections (1-5) will remain together as a
document for a third purpose.
Is this possible? If so, how?

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"songinthedark" wrote:

Thanks. That problem is fixed.
I have another issue and I don't know if or how it can be done.
I have section 2 page numbering (Synopsis) set differently from the rest of the document so that it can be a standalone document as needed. I used SECTION PAGES field code to set it up with the numbering SX of SX.

Can I set up the Table of Contents page number for this section to include
this label "S"?
Currently it says:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............1
3. ToC.....................3

I want it to say:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............S1
3. ToC.....................3

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To include heading numbers with page numbers, first you will have to make
sure that the relevant heading is in a separate section.

Then you can use the "Include chapter number" option in the Page Number
Format dialog box (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm).

Alternatively, use a SEQ field to create the number in the document, include
the paragraph in the TOC and add the \s switch to the TOC field. For
example, if numbering is done using this field: { SEQ test \r 19 \*
ALPHABETIC } (which produces the letter "S"), you will have to add \s "test"
to the end of the TOC code as follows: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \s "test" }. (Note
that the field code is just an example. Depending on the options chosen,
other switches could be present.)

To show/hide field codes, use Alt+F9. After you've edited the field code,
use F9 to update the result.

~~

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The
first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second
section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to
appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead
of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's
counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

Hi Stefan,
I appreciate your help but I'm a bit confused about where to use this SEQ
field. I'm not overly familiar with them although I've been doing some
reading this morning.
First, the pages I want with a separate page numbering schema are set apart
as a section within the document using section breaks and the style Heading
1. Conveniently enough, it is section 2 of my document as well as being
numbered "2" (2. Synopsis). Also, I'm unsure of what you mean by your
direction "...include the paragraph in the TOC". The heading is part of the
ToC already.

I would like the page numbering in the footer of this section to use an "S"
instead of a "2" as the chapter number (i.e., S1 of S2 not 2-1 of 2-2). I
did this originally by typing an S before the Page number field. Using the
SEQ string you provided below didn't give me that so I must be doing
something incorrectly.

When I added the \s switch to the ToC, the page numbering for my section
showed up as Page 3 which is the actual page number but not what I need.

I hope I'm being clear. As you can see I'm very confused about what to do
next.

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The
first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second
section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to
appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead
of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's
counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You will have to add the "S" manually next to the page number in the footer
of the relevant section; that is correct. In order to make the page number
restart, set that option in the Page Number Format dialog box for the
section.

To display the Page Number Format dialog box, activate the header/footer
area, and then do one of the following:

- On the Header and Footer toolbar, click the Format Page Number button
(Word 97-2003).

- On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, click Page Number, and then click
Format Page Numbers (Word 2007).

To include "S" in the table of contents, do the following: Place the
insertion point in the "Synopsis" paragraph. Add the following SEQ field:
{ SEQ test \r 19 \* ALPHABETIC }. Press Ctrl+F9 to add the field delimiters,
{ }, and type the code as shown. Press F9 to update. Format the SEQ field as
hidden so that it won't print.

Use Alt+F9 to show field codes. The TOC will look similar to { TOC \o "1-3"
\h }. Add \s "test" as I described in my previous message, and then press
Alt+F9 again to hide field codes. Update the TOC.

--

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

I'm getting closer! I got it to work until I updated the ToC (update whole
table). Then all of the page numbers changed and the "S1" switched as well.

It switched to...
1. Signature Page....0-2
2. Synopsis.............0-3
3. ToC....................0-5
4. LoA....................-10

Am I correct when I say that in order to use this functionality, I can only
update the page numbers and not "the whole table"?
Thanks for your patience.

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When the page number displays with a leading zero, that indicates that
something is wrong with the field code. Did you make sure to use \s "test"
in the TOC field code and SEQ test in the SEQ field, that is, did you make
sure that the sequence names are the same?

Also, please mention which version of Word you are using.

--

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

I'm using Word 2003.

My ToC is coded thus: TOC \O "1-4" \H \Z \U \S "TEST" within curly brackets.
My SEQ is coded thus: SEQ TEST \R 19 \* ALPHABETIC \* MERGEFORMAT within
curly brackets.

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The field codes look OK; I'm using something similar in Word 2007.

Does it work if the SEQ fields are not formatted as hidden text?

--

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

The SEQ field hid itself. I didn't do anything to format it that way. To be
honest I don't know how.

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

That is strange. If you press Ctrl+Shift+8 to show nonprinting marks and
then press Alt+F9 to show field codes, can you still see the code for the
SEQ field?

By the way, if you want to, I can take a look at the file. You can send it
to .

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

To include heading numbers with page numbers, first you will
have
make
sure that the relevant heading is in a separate section.

Then you can use the "Include chapter number" option in the Page
Number
Format dialog box (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm).

Alternatively, use a SEQ field to create the number in the
document,
include
the paragraph in the TOC and add the \s switch to the TOC field.
For
example, if numbering is done using this field: { SEQ test \r 19
\*

monkey1964 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

I've sent you the document via email.
Many thanks for the offer.

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org
site,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
perplexed perplexed is offline

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

This worked and was such a simple fix. I'd read other similar posts and the
suggestions didn't work. You are "MY HERO"!

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As a follow-up, I'd like to mention that I received an example document from
"songinthedark." The document wasn't apparently damaged, and I was able to
insert SEQ fields without problems. Since only part of the TOC should include
SEQ field numbers, I suggested using bookmarks to create different TOCs for
different parts of the document (as explained at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes, change the {
NUMPAGES }
field
in
the footer to a { SECTIONPAGES } field, and press Alt+F9
again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
perplexed perplexed is offline

New problem. . .
This fixed the problem so that I get page x of y for each separate section
IF I print one-sided pages; however, when I ask for double sided pages, it
prints out page x of x again. This happens no matter which printer I send it
to. Any thoughts?