Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Default Open without a blank document?

Word 2003, Win XP Pro SP2

Seems to me with Word 97 there was some option, when opening Word
directly, to have it _not_ start with a blank document. Then when I
did FileNew and selected a template I'd have just one Word doc
open, he new one I was creating.

But I can't find that option in Word 2003. And since I have "Show
windows in Taskbar" set I have a taskbar spot for the unneeded empty
document and a second one for the document I'm creating. (I want to
keep "Show windows in Taskbar" for the times when I'm actually
working on more than one document at a time.)

I see the /n switch in Help for the command line, but is there any
option setting?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From the help file under Customize how Word StartsStartup Switches

/n

Start a new instance of Word with no document open. Documents opened in each
instance of Word will not appear as choices in the Window menu of other
instances.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
Word 2003, Win XP Pro SP2

Seems to me with Word 97 there was some option, when opening Word
directly, to have it _not_ start with a blank document. Then when I
did FileNew and selected a template I'd have just one Word doc
open, he new one I was creating.

But I can't find that option in Word 2003. And since I have "Show
windows in Taskbar" set I have a taskbar spot for the unneeded empty
document and a second one for the document I'm creating. (I want to
keep "Show windows in Taskbar" for the times when I'm actually
working on more than one document at a time.)

I see the /n switch in Help for the command line, but is there any
option setting?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:47:49 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:
From the help file under Customize how Word StartsStartup Switches

/n

Start a new instance of Word with no document open.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I pointed that out in my query.

My question was how to set an option in Word to do that without the
command switch.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I guess I did not read down that far.

You can create an Autoexec () macro in the Normal.dot template or in an
Addin (a template that you save in the Word Startup directory that contains
the code

ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:47:49 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:
From the help file under Customize how Word StartsStartup Switches

/n

Start a new instance of Word with no document open.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I pointed that out in my query.

My question was how to set an option in Word to do that without the
command switch.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:31:32 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:47:49 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:
From the help file under Customize how Word StartsStartup Switches
/n Start a new instance of Word with no document open.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I pointed that out in my query.

My question was how to set an option in Word to do that without the
command switch.

I guess I did not read down that far.

You can create an Autoexec () macro in the Normal.dot template or in an
Addin (a template that you save in the Word Startup directory that contains
the code

ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges

Thanks -- I hadn't thought of that. But won't that make it impossible
to open any existing Word documents by double-clicking on them?

Since you haven't answered about an option, I'll infer that means
there isn't one. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and create
a shortcut with /n.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Holding down the shift key will prevent an auto macro from running.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:31:32 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:47:49 +0100 from Doug Robbins - Word MVP
:
From the help file under Customize how Word StartsStartup Switches
/n Start a new instance of Word with no document open.

I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but I pointed that out in my query.

My question was how to set an option in Word to do that without the
command switch.

I guess I did not read down that far.

You can create an Autoexec () macro in the Normal.dot template or in an
Addin (a template that you save in the Word Startup directory that
contains
the code

ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges

Thanks -- I hadn't thought of that. But won't that make it impossible
to open any existing Word documents by double-clicking on them?

Since you haven't answered about an option, I'll infer that means
there isn't one. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and create
a shortcut with /n.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

document prints blank Daviedvd31 Microsoft Word Help 1 September 19th 05 06:55 PM
Why won't word open a new blank document? kk2005 Microsoft Word Help 1 August 25th 05 04:16 PM
Open document Jeff New Users 6 July 6th 05 12:20 AM
When I open a new word document, I get 25 blank pages that I can'. hotshower Microsoft Word Help 2 March 4th 05 08:02 PM
Clicking on *.doc file opens Word but does not open document Ken Ent Microsoft Word Help 0 January 21st 05 09:03 PM