Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jkyte jkyte is offline

Default share or copy custom label settings

I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from my old hard
drive. Where can I find the settings for custom labels that I had created in
MS Word and stored on my old computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vickie Runyon Vickie Runyon is offline

Any idea how to do this for Word 2007? The registry key is not there after
defining a custom label.

"jkyte" wrote in message
I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from my old

hard
drive. Where can I find the settings for custom labels that I had created

in
MS Word and stored on my old computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vickie Runyon[_2_] Vickie Runyon[_2_] is offline

FOUND IT!! The custom label settings are stored in an xml file. The file is
called pg_custom.xml and is stored in the user's local profile: \documents
and settings\%user%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\

Copying the .xml file to other computers will copy the custom label
definition to that computer.

"jkyte" wrote in message
I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from my old

hard
drive. Where can I find the settings for custom labels that I had created

in
MS Word and stored on my old computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps Graham will want to add this to his
article.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/custom_labels.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jkyte" wrote in message
I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from my

old
hard
drive. Where can I find the settings for custom labels that I had

created
in
MS Word and stored on my old computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Thanks! I will add something about this. Unfortunately it doesn't help
with copying custom label definitions from earlier versions.

"jkyte" wrote in message
I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from
my old hard drive. Where can I find the settings for custom
labels that I had created in MS Word and stored on my old
computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vickie Runyon[_2_] Vickie Runyon[_2_] is offline

Yes, that's correct...I had documented the label settings from the earlier
version of Word and had to recreate the label format. But, now it can be
distributed throughout our company!

"jkyte" wrote in message
I changed computers but have the ability to retrieve files from
my old hard drive. Where can I find the settings for custom
labels that I had created in MS Word and stored on my old
computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have now done this with a copy of Word 2007 on one of my PCs and updated
the web page with the information. In fact if you have both Word 2003 and
2007 open on adjacent screens, it is bit a two minute job to setup the
custom labels as the dialogs are the same.