Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
wakingupnow

Default Merge Doc: How to Share Without Getting Busy Message

We have legal documents that must be shared by many users. They are also
Mail Merge documents. Whenever more than one person tries to access these
documents at one time, we get busy messages. Is there any way to avoid this
problem so a few people can merge and print simultaneously?

Thanks MUCH for the assistance. Kind regards,
Cole

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The main document should be created as a template and then each user uses
FileNew, they select the template as the basis for the document that they
want to create.

See the article "Distributing macros to other users" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"wakingupnow" wrote in message
We have legal documents that must be shared by many users. They are also
Mail Merge documents. Whenever more than one person tries to access these
documents at one time, we get busy messages. Is there any way to avoid
this
problem so a few people can merge and print simultaneously?

Thanks MUCH for the assistance. Kind regards,
Cole

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
wakingupnow

Thanks Doug.

It would be great if we could get our users to open the template, then save
it to another name for their own purposes, but that's not happening, thus
far. Hence, the second person and each additional can only get it as "Read
Only". Problem is that requires IT personnel to get into the server via
PCAnywhere and hit the button to allow it as Read Only.

So given that the template document will be opened by a few people at once,
- are the permissions on a template inherently different than a non-template
doc - so the 'Read Only' issue goes away?

Kind regards,
Cole

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The main document should be created as a template and then each user uses
FileNew, they select the template as the basis for the document that they
want to create.

See the article "Distributing macros to other users" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"wakingupnow" wrote in message
We have legal documents that must be shared by many users. They are also
Mail Merge documents. Whenever more than one person tries to access these
documents at one time, we get busy messages. Is there any way to avoid
this
problem so a few people can merge and print simultaneously?

Thanks MUCH for the assistance. Kind regards,
Cole

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

First, use templates, not documents. They should be in a workgroup templates
folder. The user creates a new merge document based on the template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"wakingupnow" wrote in message
We have legal documents that must be shared by many users. They are also
Mail Merge documents. Whenever more than one person tries to access these
documents at one time, we get busy messages. Is there any way to avoid
this
problem so a few people can merge and print simultaneously?

Thanks MUCH for the assistance. Kind regards,
Cole

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

You, and your users, need to learn about templates. You don't open them. For
more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and
locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.