Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

Default Table of Contents, "Fields," Etc.

I have been trying for years to master the Tab Leader function, or whatever
it is named, in order to create tables of contents where the rows of "dots"
or "periods" lead to evenly aligned columns of page numbers. There was an
excellent article on the Microsoft Forum sometime in the past about how to do
this.

I just finished reading an excellent and incisive article about how even the
most proficient WORD users are generally ignorant of WORD's more advanced
features, and I don't know if this is because of "general" user ignorance or
indifference, or the difficulty in mastering the usage of such thing as
Fields. (An acquaintance told me I would have no problem at all getting the
"dots" or "periods" to lead to evenly aligned columns of page numbers if I
treated the Table of Contents as a Field. This was as Greek to me as if
someone were speaking Greek to me.)

In brief, I would be grateful to learn *exactly* how to create evenly
aligned Tables on Contents, but I would be even more grateful to learn of a
site where the less frequently used aspects of WORD--i.e., those not directly
comparable to a "word" processor--are discussed, or perhaps even presented
with tutorials.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For instructions on how to insert an automatic table of contents, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

For information on how to use tabs with period leaders (for situations other
than TOCs), see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

Ms. Barnhill, thank you, as always, for your professional and kind help. I
would however appreciate knowing if there is any online or hard-copy tutorial
that leads WORD users who use the software primarily--and even expertly--as
word processors to a more technical proficiency.

Happy Memorial Day.

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you haven't read
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html, that's a
good place to start.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For instructions on how to insert an automatic table of contents, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

For information on how to use tabs with period leaders (for situations

other
than TOCs), see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.