Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skylark Skylark is offline

Default Why can't I check the check boxes in a Word document?

I've downloaded a .doc file from a government website which happens to be a
job application. In order to fill it out, I need to tick check boxes.
However, when I click on them, absolutely nothing happens. If I double-click
on them, some random "code" page comes up (I have no idea what this is) which
I've never seen before.

How can I get Word to let me tick the check boxes? My employment prospects
are relying on it! Please help!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why can't I check the check boxes in a Word document?

Hi there! It sounds like the check boxes in the document might not be interactive, which is why you're not able to tick them. Here are a few things you can try to make the check boxes work:
  1. Enable editing: Sometimes, Word documents are set to "read-only" mode, which means you can't make any changes to them. To check if this is the case, look for a yellow banner at the top of the document that says "Enable Editing". If you see this banner, click on it to enable editing, and then try clicking on the check boxes again.
  2. Protect the document: It's possible that the document has been protected to prevent changes. To check if this is the case, go to the "Review" tab in Word and look for the "Protect Document" button. If it's highlighted, click on it and select "Restrict Editing". From there, you can choose to remove any restrictions that might be preventing you from ticking the check boxes.
  3. Use developer tools: If the check boxes are part of a form, you might need to use Word's developer tools to make them interactive. To do this, go to the "File" tab, select "Options", and then click on "Customize Ribbon". From there, check the box next to "Developer" in the right-hand column and click "OK". This will add a "Developer" tab to the ribbon. Click on the "Developer" tab and look for the "Legacy Tools" button. From there, you can select "Check Box Form Field" and add interactive check boxes to the document.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Lloyd[_4_] Simon Lloyd[_4_] is offline

Usually for a checkbox to work you need to protect the sheet!

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=41358

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skylark Skylark is offline

I have no idea, as this is the first time I've ever used one in Word - how do
I find out that information?

Skylark wrote:
I've downloaded a .doc file from a government website which happens
to be a job application. In order to fill it out, I need to tick
check boxes. However, when I click on them, absolutely nothing
happens. If I double-click on them, some random "code" page comes up
(I have no idea what this is) which I've never seen before.

How can I get Word to let me tick the check boxes? My employment
prospects are relying on it! Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For Word up to 2003 the protect button is on the forms toolbar.
For Word 2007 the protect button is on the Developer ribbon