cottonwy

Default not typing the letters i type on keyboard

I sure hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to type in word and
do envelopes and when I type on the keyboard it does not type what I had
type. ie: "dog" it would be "jsd" or something like that not the dog that I
typed. Please e-mail me at if you have any suggestions on
how to correct this. Thank you.
Chuck Davis

AFS

I have had the same problem for quite a long time. THere seems to be no
warning. I haven't been able to figure out if I'm typing certain letters in a
particular order that triggers this. I have to either reboot or shut down the
computer temporarily in order to get back to normal. This is a real problem.
I transcribe some phone interviews and when the keys start jumping around,
that's it. I'm done!
DOes anyone have a solution or has anyone else had this problem?

"cottonwy" wrote:

I sure hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to type in word and
do envelopes and when I type on the keyboard it does not type what I had
type. ie: "dog" it would be "jsd" or something like that not the dog that I
typed. Please e-mail me at if you have any suggestions on
how to correct this. Thank you.

AFS

I'm not sure what you mean by check the font. In my case, the font is the
same, the letters typed are totally different from what is on the key. If I
was typing in Arial, the mis-typed words are also in Arial.

.

Bad practice to place your e-mail address on Newsgroups.
Spammer harvest regulary.

Regarding the bum font. Check the font.

Charles Kenyon

The problem is likely either the wrong keyboard language setting or a
problem with your actual keyboard. I use a programmable keyboard and every
once in a while it seems to start programming itself with very weird
results. I also use the Dvorak keyboard layout so when I type the keyboard
letters "dog" what is input is "eri."

Does your problem only occur in Word or is it also present in Wordpad?

Changing the keyboard or language setting is done through the Control Panel
but which control panel depends on which version of Windows you are using.
If multiple languages or keyboard layouts are installed it is possible that
they can be switched through a simple (and easily hit by mistake) key
combination.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"cottonwy" wrote in message
I sure hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to type in word and
do envelopes and when I type on the keyboard it does not type what I had
type. ie: "dog" it would be "jsd" or something like that not the dog that
typed. Please e-mail me at if you have any suggestions
on
how to correct this. Thank you.

AFS

I'm not familiar with Dvorak keyboard layout. This has happened with two
different keyboards. My first keyboard came with the computer. This one is an
Adesso with the touch pad.
The problem only occurs in Word. I've never used Word Pad. I will go into
the Control Panel and see what I can find. I ma using Windows XP.
I'll get back to you after I look in the Control Panel. Thanks for the
information. It is at least a place to start for me.

"cottonwy" wrote in message
I sure hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to type in word and
do envelopes and when I type on the keyboard it does not type what I had
type. ie: "dog" it would be "jsd" or something like that not the dog that
typed. Please e-mail me at if you have any suggestions
on
how to correct this. Thank you.

Charles Kenyon

In Windows XP Pro this is under Regional and Language Options Languages
(tab)
Details (button).

After you have the problem in Word, try opening NotePad. It is under
Programs Accessories. Problem there, too?

In Word you may want to go Tools Language Set Language and uncheck
"Detect language automatically" Make sure it is set to your correct language
setting.

Note, I may be way off-base here; I'm just shooting out ideas.
--

"cottonwy" wrote in message
I sure hope someone can help me with this. I am trying to type in word
and
do envelopes and when I type on the keyboard it does not type what I
had
type. ie: "dog" it would be "jsd" or something like that not the dog
that
typed. Please e-mail me at if you have any
suggestions
on
how to correct this. Thank you.

AFS

I went in and unchecked "detect language automatically." I'll see if it makes
a difference. It happens so sporadically that it might be some time before I
can tell if it really made a difference.
Thanks Charles. Nothing is off-base. You had more ideas than I had!
Thank you again and have a safe holiday.