Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Default Flashing Title bar

While Norton is the usual culprit, other add-ins can be equally culpable.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm

The flashing task bar is, as I said earlier, an indication that another
dialog box has taken focus, but the dialog box is hidden behind the main
application. You should be able to restore that dialog box by minimizing
Word and/or clicking the flashing toolbar indicator. If the dialog box is
off screen altogether, it *may* be possible to bring it back by right
clicking the task bar and selecting 'cascade' windows.

chequer wrote:
I do not and never have used Norton AV.
I searched for 'officeav.dll' ' and it wasn't found
I could not try entering 'regsvr32 /u "c:\[path]\officeav.dll" at the
run command as I don't know wat the path is.
I looked at article '812075' from the site you supplied but it didn't
help as when the problem occurs the computer freezes and I have to
switch off to get out of it.
I can't remember if I ever tried using 'CTRL/ALT/Del.

The flashing is an indication that an active dialog box is open
*behind* the main application window - the usual cause for this is
the Office Plug-in from Norton AV. If Norton AV has ever been on the
PC then the plug-in may still be present search for officeav.dll
then from Windows Start Run enter
regsvr32 /u "c:\[path]\officeav.dll"
(where path is the location of the file).
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812075

chequer wrote:
I am using Word 2002 with Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Occasionally when using Word the title bar starts flashing, the
cursor turns to a double ended arrow and the computer freezes
I searched through the ' Word General Questions ' but couldn't find
a satisfactory answer.
I am not using Nortons Anti Virus. I use Mcaffee.
I noticed in a reply from Suzanne S Barnhill that the fix for this
was to disable the Office Plug-in.
I have no idea what this means and would be thankful if someone
could enlighten me both on the 'Office Plug-in., and a fix for the
flashing problem.