Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Somchai

Default MAC Document to PC MS Word

Hope someone can help. I received a document created on a MAC. It shows on
my PC clearly as a word document (Icon and *.doc file extension) but I am
unable to open it. When I open it the only thing I see are hundreds of
charaters which make no sense. I installed the proofing tools, Font which
the document uses but all didn't help.

Can anyone please help as I need this document.

Thank you for your input in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

"Showing as a Word document" just means that the filename has a 'doc'
extension -- it doesn't mean that the file is necessarily a Word document.
(Change the extension of any file, and Explorer will show it with the Word
icon.)

Try opening the file selecting 'Recover text from any file' from the Files
of Type dropdown on the File Open dialog.

"Somchai" wrote in message
Hope someone can help. I received a document created on a MAC. It shows
on
my PC clearly as a word document (Icon and *.doc file extension) but I am
unable to open it. When I open it the only thing I see are hundreds of
charaters which make no sense. I installed the proofing tools, Font which
the document uses but all didn't help.

Can anyone please help as I need this document.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Somchai

Thanks, it help to some extend. I can see some of the text now but the
formatting is completly wrong. It also shows me the fonts used,etc. Then it
shows me text but a lot is repeated. In the end of the text I then have a
lot of characters again which make no sense. Any suggestions would be highly
appreciated.

"Somchai" wrote:

Hope someone can help. I received a document created on a MAC. It shows on
my PC clearly as a word document (Icon and *.doc file extension) but I am
unable to open it. When I open it the only thing I see are hundreds of
charaters which make no sense. I installed the proofing tools, Font which
the document uses but all didn't help.

Can anyone please help as I need this document.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Somchai

Dear Jezebel,

I sorted it out. Thank you for your assistance which gave me a new way of
looking at it rather then focusing on one thing. With the file recovery I
could view that the document actually was a PP file and then I changed the
file extension to *.pps. Works perfect.

Once more thank you for your assistance.