Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

Default Word 2003 document icons not displaying

I installed Office Professional Edition 2003 and the "Windows" icon is
displayed instead of the Word icon for MS Word documents. This happens for
newly created documents on 2003 and also for documents that were created in
MS Word 2000. All other document icons; Excel, Publisher, Power Point and
Access display properly. I ran the "Detect and Repair" utlility in Word,
with no success in solving the problem and also right clicked and indicated
that documents of that type be opened with "Microsoft Office Word",

If you have enountered this problem and found a remedy, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

"Harry" wrote in message
I installed Office Professional Edition 2003 and the "Windows" icon is
displayed instead of the Word icon for MS Word documents. This happens

for
newly created documents on 2003 and also for documents that were created

in
MS Word 2000. All other document icons; Excel, Publisher, Power Point and
Access display properly. I ran the "Detect and Repair" utlility in Word,
with no success in solving the problem and also right clicked and

indicated
that documents of that type be opened with "Microsoft Office Word",

If you have enountered this problem and found a remedy, please let me

know.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

Suzanne,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I just tried your
suggestion--unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

I don't know if this might be a factor but I'm usning Windows 2000
Professional.

Harry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

What, exactly did you do? The solution posted on that page solves the
problem you describe.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Harry" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

I clicked on the link presented by Suzanne and found the following
information:
-------------
How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files

Article contributed by Cindy Meister Cindy's web site

If you find that Word files do not open in the desired version of Word when
you double-click them in Windows Explorer, or that when opening them from the
Desktop or Explorer, a series of messages appear claiming that the file
cannot be opened, such as:

€śCannot open C:\My€ť
€śCannot open "Documents\The€ť
€śCannot open "Test.doc"€ť

... you need to re-register Word. To fix the problem:
Word 97 and above

1. Click Start | Run (bottom- left corner of your screen).
2. In the €śOpen€ś box, type:

winword /r

and press Enter. Note that there is a space before the forward slash
---------

I followed the instructions exactly, pressed "enter" and the following
happened:

1) Windows installer opened
2) A new window opened with the message: "Please wait while Windows
configures Office Professional Edition 2003"
3) That process ended and the MS Word icon were still not displaying
4) I rebooted the system hoping that was necessary--but still no change.
5) After receiving your message I've repeated the process twice.

Please note that the files open in Word 2003, the task bar icon is displayed
properly, and the short-cut on the task bar also displays properly.

Thanks for the interest, Charles.

Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It could be that the icon cache in Windows is full. I forget how to enlarge
the cache - try asking in a Windows forum or search Google.

"Harry" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

"Cannot open C:\My"
"Cannot open "Documents\The"
"Cannot open "Test.doc""

.. you need to re-register Word. To fix the problem:
Word 97 and above

1. Click Start | Run (bottom- left corner of your screen).
2. In the "Open" box, type:

winword /r

and press Enter. Note that there is a space before the forward
slash ---------

I followed the instructions exactly, pressed "enter" and the following
happened:

1) Windows installer opened
2) A new window opened with the message: "Please wait while Windows
configures Office Professional Edition 2003"
3) That process ended and the MS Word icon were still not displaying
4) I rebooted the system hoping that was necessary--but still no
change. 5) After receiving your message I've repeated the process
twice.

Please note that the files open in Word 2003, the task bar icon is
displayed properly, and the short-cut on the task bar also displays
properly.

Thanks for the interest, Charles.

Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the interest. I'll see if I can determine a way to do that.

Harry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Suzanne, Charles, and Graham:

Someone in Windows discussion group figured it out.

Evidently during the installation of Office Professional 2003 the way files
with doc extensions were "customized". Maybe "messed up" would be a better
word. Anyway, a fella named Bob I suggisted I go to "Folder Options" in the
control panel, select "DOC" extensions under the "File Types" tab, then
select "Advanced". When I selected the "DOC" file types it said that they
had been customized. I clicked the "Restore to Default" option and my icons
reappeared.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Harry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The thing is that reregistering Word should have overridden these
"customizations."

"Harry" wrote in message

Harry wrote:
"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

What, exactly did you do? The solution posted on that page solves

the
problem you describe.

--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version

of

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry

"Harry" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

If there's a gremlin in a computer system--it usually taps me on the
shoulder. Your suggestion probably would have worked for most people.

Thanks again.

Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon