Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth

Default Auto Update "Name" in File Properties

In Word 2002 when creating a document and saving it, under File, Properties:
the Author = "Full Name". We were able to find where "that" was coming from
(ie, Tools, Options, User Information). My question: I guess, unless every
user changes that setting manually it will always show that way? Is that
indeed true? We're pretty sure on a number of occasions when we've looked
there that a "real name" was in that field?!

Thanks for any information

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Beth

By default, Word attributes the authorship of a file to whatever is typed at
Tools Options User Information. You can type "Buggs Bunny" there and
Word will attribute the next file it creates to Buggs. You can change that
setting to "Donald Duck" and Word will attribute the next file it creates to
Don.

The name that appears at Tools Options User Information is also used to
identify the author of any tracked changes and comments.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Beth" wrote in message
In Word 2002 when creating a document and saving it, under File,
Properties:
the Author = "Full Name". We were able to find where "that" was coming
from
(ie, Tools, Options, User Information). My question: I guess, unless
every
user changes that setting manually it will always show that way? Is that
indeed true? We're pretty sure on a number of occasions when we've looked
there that a "real name" was in that field?!

Thanks for any information

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth

Thanks Shauna....one more question if you don't mind....many of us here
recall seeing our names (or other names) defaulted in there in the past (we
never made it a habit of typing our name in the user information - but rather
we would go to that area if the file was in question and we wanted to find
out who created it - or last saved it) so would it be safe to say that
previous versions of Word put a name in there automatically?

Thanks again and have a great day!

"Beth" wrote in message
In Word 2002 when creating a document and saving it, under File,
Properties:
the Author = "Full Name". We were able to find where "that" was coming
from
(ie, Tools, Options, User Information). My question: I guess, unless
every
user changes that setting manually it will always show that way? Is that
indeed true? We're pretty sure on a number of occasions when we've looked
there that a "real name" was in that field?!

Thanks for any information

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

never made it a habit of typing our name in the user information - but
rather
we would go to that area if the file was in question and we wanted to find
out who created it - or last saved it) so would it be safe to say that
previous versions of Word put a name in there automatically?

I think you may be confusing User Information with document Properties. The
Name property on the User Information tab of Tools | Options is usually
populated when the app is installed. If it was installed by an OEM, you may
find that the user name is "Valued Gateway Customer" or the like until you
change it. The Author field in the document properties (File | Properties)
is filled in with whatever is in the Name field of User Information when the
document is created. This same Name is used for the "Reviewer" when you are
tracking changes. So the Author field of the document Properties is accurate
only to the extent that the Name field in User Information is correct.