Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cliffhanger314 cliffhanger314 is offline

Default How do I hide first page number?

I want to hide the page number on the first page of each section of my
document. I clicked in a section, went to Insert menu, and clicked Page
Numbers. The Show number on first page box was ALREADY clear. Yet the page
number appears in the header. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't advise using the Insert | Page Numbers feature for documents
containing more than one section. Instead, check the "Different first page"
box on the Layout tab of Page Setup, then View | Header and Footer and use
the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert
your page number in the Header or Footer, leaving the First Page
Header/Footer empty.

"cliffhanger314" wrote in message
I want to hide the page number on the first page of each section of my
document. I clicked in a section, went to Insert menu, and clicked Page
Numbers. The Show number on first page box was ALREADY clear. Yet the page
number appears in the header. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GME GME is offline

I'm having the exact same problem and this solution didn't work.

I have multiple sections. The first page should have no number. The next
page should be number "i" followed by "ii" then "iii" and so on until the
section is complete. The main section should be numbered "1, 2, 3 . . . "

Every time in insert page numbers they show up on the first page. I checked
"different first page" and tried that with "Whole document" and "Section"
selected. If the number on the first page disappears they all disappear. If
the numbers show for later sections (and I could successfully restart the
numbering) then the first page has an "i" at the bottom.

HELP!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't advise using the Insert | Page Numbers feature for documents
containing more than one section. Instead, check the "Different first page"
box on the Layout tab of Page Setup, then View | Header and Footer and use
the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert
your page number in the Header or Footer, leaving the First Page
Header/Footer empty.

"cliffhanger314" wrote in message
I want to hide the page number on the first page of each section of my
document. I clicked in a section, went to Insert menu, and clicked Page
Numbers. The Show number on first page box was ALREADY clear. Yet the page
number appears in the header. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After you've chosen Different First Page in Page Setup, within the
Headers & Footers toolbar you need to unselect "Same as Next/
Previous," then insert the page number where you want it to appear.

I trust you don't also have "different odd and even"? Because the left-
hand page (the back of the sheet) should never have an odd page
number. If you're printing on only one side, you'll be ok.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"cliffhanger314" wrote in message
I want to hide the page number on the first page of each section of my
document. I clicked in a section, went to Insert menu, and clicked Page
Numbers. The Show number on first page box was ALREADY clear. Yet the page
number appears in the header. Any ideas?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And the first page should be i even if it has no number displayed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I don't advise using the Insert | Page Numbers feature for documents
containing more than one section. Instead, check the "Different first
page"
box on the Layout tab of Page Setup, then View | Header and Footer and
use
the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert
your page number in the Header or Footer, leaving the First Page
Header/Footer empty.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"cliffhanger314" wrote in
message
I want to hide the page number on the first page of each section of my
document. I clicked in a section, went to Insert menu, and clicked
Page
Numbers. The Show number on first page box was ALREADY clear. Yet the
page
number appears in the header. Any ideas?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GME GME is offline

That actually helped because it took me to the solution.

Here is my problem:

Title page (no page number)
Front material (page numbers i-iv)
Main material (page numbers 1-15)

Every time I set to different first page the Title page number would
disappear and so would page 'i'. I finally figured out that I needed three
sections, so I added a section break ON MY TITLE PAGE set to "odd page",
clicked "different first page" applied to "this section" and the page number
disappeared. I move down to page 'i' and sure enough--no page number. BUT, I
went to page setup, UNCLICKED "different first page" applied to this section,
and voila', I have a page 'i'! I ran back up to the Title page, and no page
number! Yay!

So thanks for helping get me there.

GME