Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

Default Updating fields automatically?

Hi everybody,
I have a group of 20 documents that are all merged into one with INCLUDETEXT
fields. The big document is merged into another document with an INCLUDETEXT
field of its own. Does anyone know if there's any way to set the fields so
once I update one of the 20 original documents, the change will appear in the
other two big documents so I don't have to go through them every time and
manually update? I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks!
Jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

IncludeText fields will not update automatically.
You can either insert the documents as linked files and set the update links
on open option
or
You can run an update macro on opening the document. You can see suitable
update macro code and the use of autoopen macros at

jezzica85 wrote:
Hi everybody,
I have a group of 20 documents that are all merged into one with
INCLUDETEXT fields. The big document is merged into another document
with an INCLUDETEXT field of its own. Does anyone know if there's any
way to set the fields so once I update one of the 20 original
documents, the change will appear in the other two big documents so I
don't have to go through them every time and manually update? I'm
using Word 2003.

Thanks!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Jezzica,

You could do this with a macro in each of the target documents, coded as:
Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
End Sub

Another way of approaching this is to make the edits direct in one of the target documents, then press Ctrl-Shift-F7 to apply the
changes to the source document - you'll then have only one target document to update.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"jezzica85" wrote in message ...
Hi everybody,
I have a group of 20 documents that are all merged into one with INCLUDETEXT
fields. The big document is merged into another document with an INCLUDETEXT
field of its own. Does anyone know if there's any way to set the fields so
once I update one of the 20 original documents, the change will appear in the
other two big documents so I don't have to go through them every time and
manually update? I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85 jezzica85 is offline

Thank you macropod, this works great! And thank you Graham for pointing me to
that macro tutorial.
Jezzica85