Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Vincent Roggero[_2_] Vincent Roggero[_2_] is offline

Default Outline numbering 'restart at 1' resets upon reopen of document

I have a Word 2007 document that uses header styles with outline numbering. I
need to break the document header outline numbering into two parts. I can set
part two's number by setting the outline level with restart at 1. When I
save the document (mht) and view it in the browser or save as PDF the
numbering is correct. When I reopen the document the outline level number is
reset. How can I make this change stick?

Thanks,
Vincent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The first thing to look at is the "Automatically update document styles"
option in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box. If it is selected, clear the
option. (To display the dialog, click Document Template on the Developer tab.
If you can't see the Developer tab, display it via Office button | Word
Options, Popular tab.)

Having said that, note that manual restarts of numbering are always a bit
tricky in Word. If you can have higher levels restart lower ones within the
same multilevel list, that will be easier to maintain. For an example of
this, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP