Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Default Recently Opened Documents Word 2003

Hello,
I am having a problem with my Word 2003 and recently opened documents. When
I first started up word, I noticed the list of recently opened documents was
not in the file menu. After looking up how to turn on that setting I thought
I was good. I turned it on, did some work, and saw the documents in the
recent list. I closed Word and went home for the day. The next day I came
back, I opened word and looked for the recent list under the file menu, and
it was gone. So, I went back the the options menu to check if the checkbox
was still checked, and it was not. I checked it again and exited word, came
back and the recent list was still not there, I went back to look at the
checkbox, and saw it was unchecked again. Everytime I exit word and go back
in it unchecks the box.

Any ideas as to why I am experiencing this problem, and any ideas how to fix
it?

Thanks,
Anthony
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is usually indicative of a minor corruption of the Word data key in the
registry (or a deliberate policy by your company IT support). If you have
write access to your own personal normal.dot file (as you should) then add
the following lines to both an autoopen and an autonew macro saved in
normal.dot. It won't repair the registry but it will fix the issue with each
document.

Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
RecentFiles.Maximum = 9

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Graham,

Thank you very much! I am in the IT department of my company, I just
couldn't figure out a solution. I will try this on Friday when I am back at
that office location and let you know how it went.

Thanks again,
Anthony

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Graham,

I am having trouble doing this. I added two modules to the normal.dot file,
but it did not seem to work. I did not notice the check go in the checkbox
for recently opened documents, in the options menu. Is there anyway you can
be a little more descriptive for me in creating this macro. I am definetly
doing it wrong.

Thanks,
Anthony

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't need two modules - you need two macros

Sub AutoOpen()
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
RecentFiles.Maximum = 9
End Sub
Sub AutoNew
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
RecentFiles.Maximum = 9
End Sub

The use of auto macros is covered in the link I posted earlier i.e.

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Ok. Got it to go, but still a problem. I am very familiar with VB code.
The code did just as expected with the events provided. It populated the
checkbox, and set the value to 9, but the list still does not show up under
the file menu.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Anthony

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it has been switched off, the list will be cleared. It should now start
to grow as you open documents.
If it doesn't then there is probably some issue with the settings sub key of
the Word data key in the registry, which should be renamed or deleted to
reset i t- see http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm which shows
how to identify the data key

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Graham,

First thank you for all your help! I am still experiencing the problem
though. A full reinstall of office will not fix the problem? I deleted the
data subkey, and restarted word. I proceeded to check the box to in options,
and set the value to 5. After that I clicked ok and closed word to see if
the checkbox would remain checked. Upon loading word again, I went back to
see if the box was still checked, and it was not. It seems to always lose
that setting.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Anthony

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you have any add-ins that may interfere -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm
Is this PC on a company network that may have some setting that is
preventing you from maintaining personalisations?
These aside I am out of ideas.

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
danooch13 danooch13 is offline

Nope no addins. Thanks anyway though. You don't think reinstalling office
will fix the problem? If not then, then the user is out of luck. Too bad.
I am in the IT department, and I guess I'll just have to tell her it can't be
fixed, unless I re-ghost her machine, which I know she will not do. Thanks
though, creates less work for me LOL.

Thanks again!

Anthony

danooch13 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Re-installing never appears to fix anything that a simple repair of office
will not fix. The problems are invariably from outside influences. As a
final cast of the dice - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Utilities such as TweakUI can also screw up essential registry entries.

i.e. http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm