Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LAC LAC is offline

Default Word 2003: Can't drag and drop highlighted text

Usually I can highlight text and then move the text to another place. Now
when I do this I get a circle with a slash through it. I've checked
Tool--Options--Edit, drag and drop text editing is checked. Is there any
other way to fix this?
--
LAC
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Does this happen with all documents? With a particular (set of) document(s)?
Could the document be protected?

If drag and drop doesn't work in new, blank documents, have you tried to
locate and rename the normal.dot template; you can search for it in Windows
(be sure to search hidden files and folders)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LAC" wrote:

Usually I can highlight text and then move the text to another place. Now
when I do this I get a circle with a slash through it. I've checked
Tool--Options--Edit, drag and drop text editing is checked. Is there any
other way to fix this?
--
LAC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Maybe a dialog window is open -- like Find/Replace, or Insert Cross
Reference, or View Footnotes? When such things are open, drag & drop
doesn't work.

"LAC" wrote:
Usually I can highlight text and then move the text to another place. *Now
when I do this I get a circle with a slash through it. *I've checked
Tool--Options--Edit, drag and drop text editing is checked. *Is there any
other way to fix this? *
--
LAC- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LAC LAC is offline

It was only happening with one document, which does seem to crash a lot (a
large doc with a lot of tables and autonumbered headers). All of a sudden
it's ok now. Thanks for responding. If it happens again I'll try naming
normal.dot.
--
LAC

"LAC" wrote:

Usually I can highlight text and then move the text to another place. Now
when I do this I get a circle with a slash through it. I've checked
Tool--Options--Edit, drag and drop text editing is checked. Is there any
other way to fix this?
--
LAC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that since the issue was with one document only, you had better treat
that document as corrupt. Copying the contents, except for the final
paragraph mark, into a new blank document fixes many cases of corruption (be
sure to delete any section breaks first). For details, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP