Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Euna

Default Headers and footers no page numbers

I used a document that was full of headers and footers, and I thought I
deleted everything, but once I completed teh 430 page document, I was not
able to insert page numbers. There's an underscore line at the bottom of the
first page, and you can "see" it but you can't "get" to it to delete it. I
don't know if that is keeping me from inserting page numbers, but it won't
let me. Any ideas why? This is fairly URGENT!!! Also, I've tried copying
the first portion of that page and pasting it into a new document, but that
code, whatever it is, follows me to the new document. HELP!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thomp

Euna, try this, maybe you already have.

View Headers and Footers, this will allow you to insert page numbers

hope this helps

--
thomparks

"Euna" wrote:

I used a document that was full of headers and footers, and I thought I
deleted everything, but once I completed teh 430 page document, I was not
able to insert page numbers. There's an underscore line at the bottom of the
first page, and you can "see" it but you can't "get" to it to delete it. I
don't know if that is keeping me from inserting page numbers, but it won't
let me. Any ideas why? This is fairly URGENT!!! Also, I've tried copying
the first portion of that page and pasting it into a new document, but that
code, whatever it is, follows me to the new document. HELP!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Euna

Thomp: Thank you for your assistance. I have, of course, already tried the
basic stuff like you suggested. There appears to be a code somewhere that is
keeping me from inserting the page numbers. At the bottom of the first page
there is an underscore line that prints when the page is printed, but it will
not allow me to access it to delete it. That may be the code that is giving
me the problem, but I can't "get" to it to delete it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Euna

"Euna" wrote:

I used a document that was full of headers and footers, and I thought I
deleted everything, but once I completed teh 430 page document, I was not
able to insert page numbers. There's an underscore line at the bottom of the
first page, and you can "see" it but you can't "get" to it to delete it. I
don't know if that is keeping me from inserting page numbers, but it won't
let me. Any ideas why? This is fairly URGENT!!! Also, I've tried copying
the first portion of that page and pasting it into a new document, but that
code, whatever it is, follows me to the new document. HELP!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it's a border, you should be able to remove it from the footer pane by
resetting the style (Ctrl+Q) or choosing Format | Borders: None. If it's a
drawing line, you can select and delete it. To learn more about how to use
headers and footers, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm