Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
frangardengirl

Default Table of contents begins renumbering at every section break

I am using Word 2003. I am working on a large, multi-section document. The
table of contents does not display the correct, sequential page numbers.
Instead it appears to begin renumbering at "1" with each section break. I
tried following the protocol given in the "help" troubleshooter, but it did
not solve this problem. I would like to fix my TOC without losing the
sectioned numbering organization already set up in this document (i.e., page
1-1, followed by page 1-2 for section 1; then 2-1, followed by 2-2 for
section 2, etc.).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel

Normally people want the TOC to show the page number as displayed in the
document (otherwise how do you use it?)

However, if you must, then you'll need to use some tricks --

1. Remove the page number re-start for each section, so the page numbers are
as you want them to appear in the TOC. (These numbers needn't be actually
displayed.)

2. To create the actual page number displays, with the count re-starting for
each section --

-- Insert a bookmark on the first page of each section, called eg
Section_01, Section_02, etc

-- use {Section}-{ = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF Section_01 } + 1 } for
the page numbers in each section.

"frangardengirl" wrote in message
news
I am using Word 2003. I am working on a large, multi-section document.
The
table of contents does not display the correct, sequential page numbers.
Instead it appears to begin renumbering at "1" with each section break. I
tried following the protocol given in the "help" troubleshooter, but it
did
not solve this problem. I would like to fix my TOC without losing the
sectioned numbering organization already set up in this document (i.e.,
page
1-1, followed by page 1-2 for section 1; then 2-1, followed by 2-2 for
section 2, etc.).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
frangardengirl

Jezebel, thanks for your response. I think you misread my message. Of
course I do want the TOC to list the numbers as they appear on each page of
the document. But instead, after each page break, the TOC starts at "1"
again. It is as if the TOC does not see the numbers that are actually on
each page. I hope this describes my problem more clearly.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Did you try to update the TOC? You can right-click it to bring up the
context menu and then click Update; if prompted, choose to update the
whole table. If this doesn't help, verify that you have the correct
settings for page numbering. Note that if you are using a
heading level number.page number format, you will see the restarts
after each Word section (not after a particular heading level). For
more on this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
frangardengirl

The material at the link you provided is very helpful. Thank you, Stefan.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

news I am using Word 2003. I am working on a large, multi-section