Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessi

Default How do I save a file as Text Only versus Plain Text?

I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft Office Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft Office
Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong encoding
for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of carriage return
and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft Office
Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is

Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the

file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessi

When I save the fiel as Plain Text, I don't know how to change the encoding
from Unicode to text only. This is not an option under the encoding choices.
The software I'm importing into needs the file to be in plain text. I can
choose this option in Microsoft Word Me, but I'm not too sure how in
Microsoft Office Word XP. Any advice is greatly needed.

Thanks again, Jessi

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong encoding
for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of carriage return
and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft Office
Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is

Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the

file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

In 2003 (and I assume XP is similar) when you click on Save in the Save
Dialog you get a Conversion dialog - the default is "Windows" ANSI
(non-Unicode) - does it cause a problem when you use this?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong

encoding
for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of carriage return
and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft

Office
Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is

Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the

file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any

advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You probably need the old converter for this - linked from the downloads
page of my web site.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong
encoding for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of
carriage return and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft
Office Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option
is Plain Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm
importing the file into another software and the file type must
be Text Only. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elly Bennett

What is the download called?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong
encoding for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of
carriage return and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft
Office Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option
is Plain Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm
importing the file into another software and the file type must
be Text Only. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm guessing it would be "MS-DOS Text with Layout converter for Word." And
please don't change the subject line on existing threads.

"Elly Bennett" wrote in message
What is the download called?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Or what's in plain text that's causing the problem?

If the whole thing is wrong then you are probably using the wrong
encoding for your other software. Or, perhaps, the wrong type of
carriage return and/or line feed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What's missing in plain txt?
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jessi" wrote in message
I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft
Office Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option
is Plain Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm
importing the file into another software and the file type must
be Text Only. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

Copy the entire document to the clipboard and paste into Notepad. Have you
actually tried importing the Plain Text file. A ".txt" file is a ".txt"
file....
wrote in message ...

Nu2 wrote:

I'm trying to save a file as Text Only (*.txt) using Microsoft Office
Word,
but do not have this option under "Save as type." The only option is
Plain
Text (*.txt). This file type does not work for me. I'm importing the file
into another software and the file type must be Text Only. Any advice or
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Is there any add-on for Open Document Text file ? Jason New Users 2 October 29th 05 09:39 PM
How to creat relative and shorthand file path names? 2dogs Microsoft Word Help 1 May 15th 05 12:11 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Save As...*.txt files Scribe Microsoft Word Help 2 December 13th 04 04:45 AM
Import of text file olav Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 01:14 PM