Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pubs Guy Pubs Guy is offline

Default How do I copy a read only file to an editable file format?

It used to be possible to save an original read only Word document as an
editable version for review and comment and possible revision. I don't seem
to be able to do this now. Why?

If the original read only file is not to be altered, should a comment
function at least be operable?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, read only is read only.

Did you try changing the file attributes?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Pubs Guy" Pubs wrote in message
It used to be possible to save an original read only Word document as an
editable version for review and comment and possible revision. I don't
seem
to be able to do this now. Why?

If the original read only file is not to be altered, should a comment
function at least be operable?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pubs Guy Pubs Guy is offline

"Pubs Guy" wrote:

It used to be possible to save an original read only Word document as an
editable version for review and comment and possible revision. I don't seem
to be able to do this now. Why?

If the original read only file is not to be altered, should a comment
function at least be operable?

I do change the file name when I do a save as. For example:
original: xyz.doc
Save as: xyz_1Feb07.doc

So, changing the name did not remove the read only restriction.