Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pat M[_2_] Pat M[_2_] is offline

Default Footnote Location

I have a document with 20 footnotes in it, all set up to appear at the
bottom of the page (just above a footer). 19 of them appear on the page
correctly, but I have one footnote that prints a number of lines above the
footer.

I've looked at the non-printing characters and there's no extra spaces in
the footnote area. The footnote itself is attached to a column header in a
table, which is the last thing on the page before a page break.

Any suggestions on how to put this one footer where it belongs???? I've
tried deleting and readding it, but it is added in the same way every time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is the page tight? That is, is the last footnote reference on the page very
close to the bottom of the page? Sometimes in such situations Word can get
confused. Also, is there a table involved? That adds further complexity. I'm
currently working on a document with a lot of footnotes, some of them quite
lengthy, and I'm seeing some really strange behavior in some cases that can
be worked around in some strange ways.

"Pat M" wrote in message
I have a document with 20 footnotes in it, all set up to appear at the
bottom of the page (just above a footer). 19 of them appear on the page
correctly, but I have one footnote that prints a number of lines above the
footer.

I've looked at the non-printing characters and there's no extra spaces in
the footnote area. The footnote itself is attached to a column header in
table, which is the last thing on the page before a page break.

Any suggestions on how to put this one footer where it belongs???? I've
tried deleting and readding it, but it is added in the same way every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pat M[_2_] Pat M[_2_] is offline

Suzanne,

If the footnote were printing in the correct location, there would be about
1 to 1.5 inches of space between the bottom of the page content and the
2-line footnote. The last item on the page is a table and with the footnote
acting the way it is, the last 2 rows of the table are being forced to the
really can't put the page break before it or I'll end up with more than 1/2
the page blank! Any suggestions would be much appreciate. This is a
template for a group of documents we'll be creating, so if I can't get it
fixed here, it will show up more often than I would like it to.

Pat

"Pat M" wrote in message
I have a document with 20 footnotes in it, all set up to appear at the
bottom of the page (just above a footer). 19 of them appear on the page
correctly, but I have one footnote that prints a number of lines above the
footer.

I've looked at the non-printing characters and there's no extra spaces in
the footnote area. The footnote itself is attached to a column header in
table, which is the last thing on the page before a page break.

Any suggestions on how to put this one footer where it belongs???? I've
tried deleting and readding it, but it is added in the same way every
time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As I said, I've seen some strange results when there are footnotes in
tables, but these result from having very deep rows (which stretch over more
than one page). Because Word defers the footnote in a given row to the page
where the row ends, if a row extends over a page break and contains many
footnotes, a situation sometimes results where the number of accumulated
footnotes won't fit on the page where the row ends, and so they just
disappear. The solution is to break the row into multiple rows (usually easy
to do, since it often contains several paragraphs).

That doesn't sound like your situation at all. I'd be interested in looking
at the document if you can send it (or the misbehaving portion of it) to
me. Obfuscate proprietary information if you feel the need, but be assured I
never pay any attention to the content of documents received, anyway, and
I'm a free lance unconnected with any business, so I have no interest in the
content.