Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AYJ AYJ is offline

Default keep in touch with the page numbering

I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me easily how to do the following.
I'm writing college notes and I often write see page x in my notes. The
problem is that I add in notes and therefore page x becomes page y. Is there
anyway to link the number that I typed to the page number i.e. if the page
number changes so does the number that I wrote in my notes.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Insert | Reference | Cross-reference. Unless you have a heading or numbered
item (or other automatically bookmarked item) on that page to
cross-reference, you'll need to insert a bookmark on the page and then
insert a PAGEREF to that bookmark.

"AYJ" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me easily how to do the following.
I'm writing college notes and I often write see page x in my notes. The
problem is that I add in notes and therefore page x becomes page y. Is
there
anyway to link the number that I typed to the page number i.e. if the page
number changes so does the number that I wrote in my notes.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AYJ AYJ is offline

Thanks so much. I did that but it doesn@t seem to update itself. e.g.
something that was on page 11 and moved to page 12 it still says see page 11.
Any ideas

"AYJ" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me easily how to do the following.
I'm writing college notes and I often write see page x in my notes. The
problem is that I add in notes and therefore page x becomes page y. Is
there
anyway to link the number that I typed to the page number i.e. if the page
number changes so does the number that I wrote in my notes.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
shijian shijian is offline

Hi AYJ
Follow the instructions from the previous posts. They do work I've just
tried it myself. When the pages change Word doesn't automatically update the
page numbers, which is a pain. If you right click your mouse and clik update
bookmarks the page number will update. Why it doesn't do this automatically
is anyone's guess!

I'm not an expert on this either, but struggling with the same problem as
you with a huge report with lots of page numbers.

When I highlighted a block of text and picked update bookmarks, it did
actually update all my page numbers that were in the text and has save me
hours of printing and manual editing.

Hope this helps. If not check the help pages in word on updating bookmarks.

Best Wishes and Good luck with finishing your report.