Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tonya Tonya is offline

Default How do I keep the TOC from changing it's appearence when I print.

The TOC looks good on screen and in print preview, but when I hit print it
shrinks the appearence and alters the information and prints it all wrong...
do you know why?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Check under the following:
Tools, Options, Print, Update fields.
If this is checked, clear the box.
What appears to be happening is that you have manually formatted the TOC to
how you want it to look like, but you have not modified the TOC styles, so if
this box is checked then Word refreshes the TOC (which is a Field) then send
to the printer.

It is best not to use manual formatting, especially with the TOC.
If you are using 2003, you can have the manual settings forced in to the
Styles but having the cursor on, say, a Heading 1 in the TOC, ensure that the
Style Box (usually top left in toolbar) says TOC1 not Hyperlink (moving
cursor left or right away from the start and end of the line), then using the
Format, Styles and Formatting dialog, scroll down the "Pick" list to TOC1,
right click, Update to match selection. Do this for the other TOC styles
involved.
If you have done major manual formatting this application of style can
initially cause the TOC to go haywire (as you have discribed) but you can now
force the TOC into a format you want and it wont misbeahve again (hopefully).
The above is for 2003, if you are 2007, the descriptions may be different.
Come back if you need any further help.
Check out http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Tonya" wrote:

The TOC looks good on screen and in print preview, but when I hit print it
shrinks the appearence and alters the information and prints it all wrong...
do you know why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word 2007, you can do this to modify the TOC styles: Press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Press the Manage Styles button.
Click the Edit tab. Locate each of the TOC styles (TOC 1, TOC 2, etc.) and
modify them to suit your needs, by clicking the Modify button and then
making the desired changes. (If you want to transfer the settings of a style
to the attached template, be sure to check the "New documents based on this
template" option in the Modify Style dialog box.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP