Cliff

Default Unwanted languages

I'm a translator working with Portuguese, Spanish, and French. In Word
(2002 SP-2) when I click on Tools/Language/Set Language, then hit, say,
S for Spanish, the highlighted language is Sami (Lappish) and I have to
scroll down to Spanish. 'F' takes me to Faeroese instead of French, 'P'
to Pashto. My question: Is there any way to remove the superfluous
languages from the list, even if it means going into the registry? I'd
like to clean it out so that only the languages I use (along with
English, of course) are there. Is this doable?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Helmut Weber

Hi Cliff,

I never saw anything like "Faeroese" in the registry.
IMHO, the information about languages isn't there.

Do You want a macro to set a language
for the selected text, the actual paragraph or whatever?

Ask in ...public.word.vba.general.

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Herb Tyson [MVP]

When I choose Tools/Language/Set Language, the three that I use (English US,
Spanish, and French) are cached at the top of the list. Therefore, I never
have to deal with Faeroese and such. Are you saying that you don't see the
languages you use at the top of the list, separated by a line?

I don't know of a registry edit that will do what you want. On the odd
chance you might someday need an additional language, however, a different
approach might work better for you.

If language caching is turned off (for whatever reason), you could add
Portuguese, Spanish, and French (probably English, too, eh?) to the Tools -
Language menu, so that you wouldn't need to drill down to Set Language. To
do this, create three (or four) simple macros.

I don't know which Spanish setting you use, but my SetSpanish macro looks
like this:

Sub SetSpanish()
Selection.LanguageID = wdSpanishModernSort
End Sub

French, Portuguese and English US could look like this:

Sub SetFrench()
Selection.LanguageID = wdFrench
End Sub

Sub SetPortuguese()
Selection.LanguageID = wdPortuguese
End Sub

Sub SetEnglish()
Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
End Sub

Once these are created, choose Tools - Customize - Commands tab - Macros,
and drag them to the Language menu.

Or... create a new menu or toolbar for languages and put them there. Or,
assign keystrokes (e.g., Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E for English, ___+P for Portuguese,
etc.).

I hope this helps...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Cliff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a translator working with Portuguese, Spanish, and French. In Word
(2002 SP-2) when I click on Tools/Language/Set Language, then hit, say,
S for Spanish, the highlighted language is Sami (Lappish) and I have to
scroll down to Spanish. 'F' takes me to Faeroese instead of French, 'P'
to Pashto. My question: Is there any way to remove the superfluous
languages from the list, even if it means going into the registry? I'd
like to clean it out so that only the languages I use (along with
English, of course) are there. Is this doable?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Graham Mayor

Create a languages custom toolbar and create three macros similar to that
below (the alternative code for the three languages is shown) attached to
three buttons on that toolbar. You can then avoid the language drop-down
altogether. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Sub SetFrench()
Selection.LanguageID = wdFrench
'Selection.LanguageID = wdSpanish
'Selection.LanguageID = wdPortuguese
Selection.NoProofing = False
Application.CheckLanguage = False
End Sub

Cliff wrote:
I'm a translator working with Portuguese, Spanish, and French. In Word
(2002 SP-2) when I click on Tools/Language/Set Language, then hit,
say, S for Spanish, the highlighted language is Sami (Lappish) and I
have to scroll down to Spanish. 'F' takes me to Faeroese instead of
French, 'P' to Pashto. My question: Is there any way to remove the
superfluous languages from the list, even if it means going into the
registry? I'd like to clean it out so that only the languages I use
(along with English, of course) are there. Is this doable?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Unwanted Superscript Degree Sign Zoonotics Microsoft Word Help 2 September 5th 05 08:23 PM
How eliminate proofing languages not wanted ever used? Ritter197 New Users 9 August 14th 05 01:30 AM
languages stepheny Microsoft Word Help 1 June 5th 05 11:28 AM
How do I remove languages from the select langauge dialog box? mkh13 Microsoft Word Help 0 February 8th 05 05:31 PM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 10:29 PM