Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
klhtrain klhtrain is offline

Default embedding a binder number in the page number so the TOC picks it u

Hi

I am using Word 2003.

I am trying to create a page number in the footer that will have a binder
number (not a chapter number) in the page number so that it can be pulled
into the TOC. For example, in binder VI of the proposal, the page number
would be VI-i, VI-1, etc. If I just put the VI in the footer, then it does
not pick up in the TOC (I know I can hack the TOC and put it in, but then
that causes more problems when I PDF it sometimes).

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Karen
Pittsburgh
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to use the Heading 1 Style for the Binder Number.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"klhtrain" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Word 2003.

I am trying to create a page number in the footer that will have a binder
number (not a chapter number) in the page number so that it can be pulled
into the TOC. For example, in binder VI of the proposal, the page number
would be VI-i, VI-1, etc. If I just put the VI in the footer, then it
does
not pick up in the TOC (I know I can hack the TOC and put it in, but then
that causes more problems when I PDF it sometimes).

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Karen
Pittsburgh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For more on this, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"klhtrain" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Word 2003.

I am trying to create a page number in the footer that will have a binder
number (not a chapter number) in the page number so that it can be pulled
into the TOC. For example, in binder VI of the proposal, the page number
would be VI-i, VI-1, etc. If I just put the VI in the footer, then it
does
not pick up in the TOC (I know I can hack the TOC and put it in, but then
that causes more problems when I PDF it sometimes).

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Karen
Pittsburgh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
klhtrain klhtrain is offline

Thanks for the responses.

I understand using the heading 1 - I can successfully put that into the
header where I want it so it reads Volume I, II, III, etc. But when I try to
format the page number in the footer and reference back to this "chapter
number" via heading 1, it does not seem to recognize it. It tells me to
create a chapter number.... Does it not recognize a "chapter number" in the
header??

"klhtrain" wrote:

Hi

I am using Word 2003.

I am trying to create a page number in the footer that will have a binder
number (not a chapter number) in the page number so that it can be pulled
into the TOC. For example, in binder VI of the proposal, the page number
would be VI-i, VI-1, etc. If I just put the VI in the footer, then it does
not pick up in the TOC (I know I can hack the TOC and put it in, but then
that causes more problems when I PDF it sometimes).

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Karen
Pittsburgh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you apply outline numbering to the Heading 1 style (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...mbering.html)? Is there
text in the document body using the style? Both of these conditions are
required.

Note that if you don't want the number to be visible in the document body,
you can format the outline number as hidden.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP