Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PinkFloydFan

Default same comment on two lines of text

Lets say I'm writing a document that requires me to note a relationship
between two line items.

I've tried highlighting two non-consecutive parts of the document using the
Ctrl key while selecting each section of the document. This works as you
would expect.
However, when I try to associate the new comment to the multi-selected text,
only the very last selection in the group has the comment balloon connected.
I would like to see two separate connection lines drawn from the one comment
balloon to the two (or more) text segments highlights.

Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PinkFloydFan

Let me just ask if there can be a one-to-many comment structure in Word.

I want to tie one comment, to several (logical) occurrences in a document
with several sequences of like information.

Think of the document as being a menu in a restaurant. I want to point out
all the menu items that are low cal. with one "low cal." comment. I want to
point out all the "fat free" items with another comment.

I'm almost sure Word will not do this, but just wanted to ask...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

No, there is no way to do this. Everything in a Word document is anchored to
a range: by definition, a range is a single, contiguous stretch of document,
delimited by single start and end points. So you can't anchor anything to
multiple locations.

Some possible workarounds
- use textboxes and lines.
- use different color highlighting, with an explanation 'Yellow highlighting
means low-cal, blue means the chef was on speed that day, etc'

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suggest you word your comment in such a way that it is obvious what
you're
commenting on.

so
all may benefit.

"PinkFloydFan" wrote in message
Lets say I'm writing a document that requires me to note a relationship
between two line items.

I've tried highlighting two non-consecutive parts of the document using

the
Ctrl key while selecting each section of the document. This works as
you
would expect.
However, when I try to associate the new comment to the multi-selected

text,
only the very last selection in the group has the comment balloon

connected.
I would like to see two separate connection lines drawn from the one

comment
balloon to the two (or more) text segments highlights.

Can this be done?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: same comment on two lines of text

Unfortunately, it is not possible to associate one comment balloon to multiple non-consecutive selections in Microsoft Word. Each comment balloon can only be connected to one selection of text.

However, there is a workaround that you can use to achieve a similar effect. Instead of using comment balloons, you can use text boxes to create a note that applies to both line items. Here's how:
  1. Select the first line item that you want to associate with the note.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Text Box" in the "Text" group.
  4. Choose a text box style that you like.
  5. Type your note into the text box.
  6. Move the text box to the desired location near the selected text.
  7. Repeat steps 1-6 for the second line item that you want to associate with the note.
  8. Adjust the position of the text boxes as needed to make it clear that they are associated with each other.

By using text boxes instead of comment balloons, you can create a note that applies to multiple non-consecutive selections of text. This workaround may not be as elegant as a single comment balloon with multiple connection lines, but it can still be effective in communicating the relationship between the two line items.