Jürgen Germonpré

Default Merge with correlated data on both sides

Dear all,

I have a mail merge to do on a postcard. Both sides must be printed with
variable data. Recto: address (Mr. Smith, Lane, City, Barcode), Verso: Text
with variables (Dear Mr. Smith, your shop in Antwerp, exceptional opening on
1 july...).

I have 3 Post cards on 1 ISO A4 sheet so I should get something like this:

(recto page) (verso page)
RECORD1 RECORD1

RECORD2 RECORD2

RECORD3 RECORD3

I can manage 3 records on the 1st page with the next record field, but the
corresponding data on the back side.... that's some kind of a problem. If i
use next record, I get RECORD 4, 5 and 6....

I tried to use text frames but it doesn't work because word forces both
anchor and textframe to appear on the same page. With frames, you can place
them at random and by setting the anchors in the right sequence and have
your merge displaying a correct page.
For instance if i had a A3 with the above data, that should be no problem:
six frames, on the same page, inserting next record fields between anchors
would force word to display the right data on the right place....

Has anybody any idea/suggestion ?

Thanks.
J. Germonpré

Peter Jamieson

Try using SET fields to store the values of the fields in each record until
you need them, then REF fields to print the values. This may not work with
some fields such as ADDRESSBLOCK but I believe it should work with
MERGEFIELD fields.

E.g., suppose you just have one field called address on the recto side and
one field called name on the verso side.

Then use

recto card 1:
{ SET r1name { MERGEFIELD name } }
{ MERGEFIELD address }

recto card 2:
{ NEXT }
{ SET r2name { MERGEFIELD name } }
{ MERGEFIELD address }

recto card 3:
{ NEXT }
{ SET r3name { MERGEFIELD name } }
{ MERGEFIELD address }

verso card 1:
{ REF r1name }

verso card 2:
{ REF r2name }

verso card 3:
{ REF r3name }

You need to use ctrl-F9 to create all the special field braces - {}

Peter Jamieson

merge data is removed maryj Mailmerge 2 March 23rd 05 08:03 PM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
stripping commas from merge data Patrick Heilman Mailmerge 0 December 30th 04 04:09 AM
Mail merge error occurs when filtering Excel data source Dave Mailmerge 1 December 2nd 04 10:46 PM
Merge Data Source path Peter Jamieson Mailmerge 0 November 25th 04 07:15 PM