Export table data to Excel

Old November 25th 04, 01:02 PM
Kenny Kepler

Default Export table data to Excel

Hi,

I have a table in word made up of two columns and about 50 rows; so about
100 cells. This table is used to enter contact details, e.g. contact name,
company name, address, etc. Now I wouldn't have chosen to do this myself,
but I inherited this document from my predecessor. I want to get the data in
each cell to be exported to Excel as a row. This would enable me to sort
the data better and it can also be used as mail merge source. I have found
some duplicate names and want to delete them, but if I sort the table so
that I can more easily spot them, it doesn't change the order at all. In
Excel this would be much easier. I suspect whoever created this doc used
sized the cells to print on labels, but of course mail merge does that
better.

So does anyone know how I can get a cell of data copied to row in an Excel
spreadsheet?

TIA

Kenny

Old November 25th 04, 01:45 PM
Genine

First of all, before you do anything to the table, replace the returns in
each labels with commas (replace ^p with ,) and then convert your data to
text (table, convert table to text) using paragraphs. This will separate the
data into strings with each line of the address separated by a comma. Save
as a text file and close the document. Rename the text file as a CSV and
open it in excel, then save it as an excel worksheet.
You can still use an excel file as a data source for a word mail merge.
Genine