Numbers reformatting during mail merge

Old December 9th 04, 03:32 PM
Sherry

Default Numbers reformatting during mail merge

I am doing a mail merge from an Excel document. The
field in the document is an hourly salary amount, so it
is formatted as a number with 2 decimals. When I set up
the merge to Word, however, it shows the field as having
15 decimals. I cannot change the format once it is in
Word. I have tried using several different formats while
it is still in Excel, before the merge, including a
custom format, but no matter how it shows formatted in
Excel, when it is merged into Word the 15 decimal places
appear. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sherry
Rome, Georgia
Old December 9th 04, 03:47 PM
Charles Kenyon

Try rounding the data in Excel (unless you are actually paying people in
increments of less than a penny). What you are currently doing is altering
the display while leaving the underlying number untouched.

You can also apply a picture (format) to your merge field. If your hourly
rate in Excel, though, is a calculated field, you do really want to apply
the Round function to your result or you can get spreadsheet calculation
errors that are not apparent.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.