Chris Schilling

Default Issue when querying excel 2003 to merge into word 2003

I have a co-worker having an issue with merging excel data into word and
querying the data for specific information (both 2003 versions). When she
does this, the first record is always the first line of data (even though
the query should be excluding this line). It then skips the record that
should be the first record of the query results, and after that the results
are correct. She also said that she knows another person that had the same
issue. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Chris
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Chris,

I have a co-worker having an issue with merging excel data into word and
querying the data for specific information (both 2003 versions). When she
does this, the first record is always the first line of data (even though
the query should be excluding this line). It then skips the record that
should be the first record of the query results, and after that the results
are correct. She also said that she knows another person that had the same
issue.

Never heard of this before, but a bit more information might help

1. What is the query?

2. How is the query being set (exact steps)?

3. Does this happen if the Excel data is linked into a new Word document (as a
test)?

4. If the Excel data copied and pasted into a Word document (assuming it
contains 64 columns or less) and the merge is linked to the Word document as
the data source, does the query work correctly?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Chris Schilling

Thanks for your response -- I don't have exact answers to your questions,
but I have more information (which ends up being even more confusing). I
walked through the mail merge wizard with some files she sent me, and the
query worked fine for me (it's basically a sales report "form letter" in
which we were querying for a specific sales district). When I mentioned
this to my co-worker, she tried the wizard and it also worked -- previously
she was using the mail merge helper (which she happens to prefer using). So
I tried the mail merge helper (after I found it buried in the toolbar
customizations -- I guess there may be a reason it's not easy to find :-)),
and I get the same erroneous results that she was getting. Could the helper
possibly be broken?

Chris

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Chris,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Chris,

Most people have no problem using the older technology (the MM Helper) with
Excel or Access. There are, however, traditionally problems between Word and
Excel using the older technology (DDE connection instead of ODBC or OLEDB) if
either the Word document or the Excel workbook is slightly damaged. (The
reasoning behind most of my questions) My guess would be that this is the case,
in this particular instance.

I don't have exact answers to your questions,
but I have more information (which ends up being even more confusing). I
walked through the mail merge wizard with some files she sent me, and the
query worked fine for me (it's basically a sales report "form letter" in
which we were querying for a specific sales district). When I mentioned
this to my co-worker, she tried the wizard and it also worked -- previously
she was using the mail merge helper (which she happens to prefer using). So
I tried the mail merge helper (after I found it buried in the toolbar
customizations -- I guess there may be a reason it's not easy to find :-)),
and I get the same erroneous results that she was getting. Could the helper
possibly be broken?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org