Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KimJK KimJK is offline

Default Must use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to see results

Using Office Word 2003, this is new problem. When I insert any kind of Auto
Text (for instance, file & path name) or a graphic, instead of showing the
resulting Auto Text (i.e. "Kim/Office/2003 questions.doc"), I get a bunch of
code. The only way to see the results is to select the code, then
Ctrl+Shift+F9. This is time-consuming, to say the least!

This problem also occurs when inserting graphics. Also, if I try to insert
page numbers, the page number will not change with suceeding pages--they will
all be numbered page 1.

I think I must have turned something on/off but I don't know what and can't
find the answer even in my 1530 page reference book. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LS LS is offline

Do Alt+F9 - this toggles codes on and off. Once you do it, it should stick
and not have to be done for all docs.

"KimJK" wrote:

Using Office Word 2003, this is new problem. When I insert any kind of Auto
Text (for instance, file & path name) or a graphic, instead of showing the
resulting Auto Text (i.e. "Kim/Office/2003 questions.doc"), I get a bunch of
code. The only way to see the results is to select the code, then
Ctrl+Shift+F9. This is time-consuming, to say the least!

This problem also occurs when inserting graphics. Also, if I try to insert
page numbers, the page number will not change with suceeding pages--they will
all be numbered page 1.

I think I must have turned something on/off but I don't know what and can't
find the answer even in my 1530 page reference book. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And note that the reason Ctrl+Shift+F9 works is that it unlinks the field.
For graphics (especially those pasted from the Web), this may be a good
idea, but you wouldn't want to do it for fields in general.