Mike1103

Default How do I insert a square symbol in word document?

I want to state certain facts in both square metres and cubic metres. I type
3m3 and 5m2 but I want the last 3 and 2 respectively show up in document the
same way as footnote numbers do.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert a square symbol in word document?

Sure, I can help you with that! To insert a square symbol in a Word document, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the square symbol.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on the "Symbol" button in the "Symbols" section of the menu.
  4. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" as the font.
  6. Scroll down until you find the square symbol you want to use (it should be near the bottom of the list).
  7. Click on the square symbol to select it.
  8. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the symbol into your document.
  9. Close the "Symbol" dialog box.

Now you should see the square symbol in your document where you placed your cursor. To make it look like a footnote number, you can format it as superscript. Here's how:
  1. Select the square symbol you just inserted.
  2. Right-click on the selected symbol and choose "Font" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Font" dialog box, check the box next to "Superscript" under the "Effects" section.
  4. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now your square symbol should be formatted as superscript, just like a footnote number. You can use this same process to insert and format the cubic symbol as well. Just select the appropriate symbol from the "Symbol" dialog box and format it as superscript using the "Font" dialog box.
__________________
tjtjjtjt

Here are two ways
(Word 2003) keyboard shortcut--Select the number to superscript:
Ctrl+Shift+=

You could also add the Superscript button to a Toolbar. Tools | Customize.
Click on the Commands Tab and look in the Format Category. Find Superscript
and drag it onto a toolbar.

tj

"Mike1103" wrote:

I want to state certain facts in both square metres and cubic metres. I type
3m3 and 5m2 but I want the last 3 and 2 respectively show up in document the
same way as footnote numbers do.

Victor_alb

Mike

First select the cube and square and then click Format/Font/Superscript.

Victor

"Mike1103" wrote:

I want to state certain facts in both square metres and cubic metres. I type
3m3 and 5m2 but I want the last 3 and 2 respectively show up in document the
same way as footnote numbers do.

Chuck Davis

"Mike1103" wrote:

I want to state certain facts in both square metres and

cubic metres. I type
3m3 and 5m2 but I want the last 3 and 2 respectively

show up in document the
same way as footnote numbers do.

.

Word 2003 already has the superscrip and subscript icons,
click on the little down arrow on the taskbar at the right
of the icons, and choose Formatting and then scroll down
to Supersript and click on it.

Klaus Linke

Hi Mike,

You can also insert them as special symbols ² ³.

The built-in shortcuts are Alt+Ctrl+2 and Alt+Ctrl+3 on my keyboard.
Yours might be different.

The character codes -- Alt+0178 and Alt+0179 -- work on any keyboard.

Regards,
Klaus

tjtjjtjt

I show my toolbars on top of each other and am aware of the buttons
presence-was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt the he or she would see
the button if it was there and therfore not using 2003).
I mentioned the version because I wasn't 100% sure the keyboard shortcut
would match--at least one of them switched in 2003. ALT+Click no longer
selects a Table column, for instance.

tj