SSchwalbe

Default What combination of colors will produce gold type?

I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type to be in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark 1150 printer.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: What combination of colors will produce gold type?

To produce gold type, you can try using a combination of yellow and brown or yellow and orange. Here are the steps you can follow in Microsoft Word:
  1. Open a new Word document and type the text you want to appear in gold.
  2. Highlight the text and click on the "Font Color" button in the "Font" section of the Home tab.
  3. Click on "More Colors" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Colors" tab, select "RGB" from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Red" field, enter "255". In the "Green" field, enter "215". In the "Blue" field, enter "0". This will give you a bright yellow color.
  6. Click "OK" to close the "Colors" window.
  7. Next, click on the "Text Effects" button in the "Font" section of the Home tab.
  8. Select "Outline" from the drop-down menu.
  9. In the "Outline" menu, select "Solid line" and choose a brown or orange color for the outline. You can experiment with different shades to get the desired gold effect.
  10. Adjust the thickness of the outline to your liking.
  11. Click "OK" to apply the outline.
  12. Your text should now appear in gold!

Note that the final result may vary depending on your printer and the paper you use. It's always a good idea to do a test print before printing a large batch of invitations.
__________________

You're unlikely to find a single color that will really much resemble
metallic gold, and since fonts in Word can't be formatted with a gradient,
you'll have to settle for a single color, which will be a sort of
orangey-yellow. There are only two ways that I know of to get true metallic
gold:

1. Use a desktop printer that takes a gold ink cartridge in place of black.
In this case, you set the type as black (Automatic) as usual, but it comes
out gold.

2. Ditto for a commercial printer. You set the copy in black, and he prints
it with gold ink.

"SSchwalbe" wrote in message
I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type to be in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark 1150

printer.

Jay Freedman

While I agree with Suzanne that inkjets don't simulate "metallic"
colors very well, you can try the RGB combination R=217, G=217, B=25.
To enter this, click the More Colors item at the bottom of the font
color dropdown, click the Custom tab, and type the numbers in the
boxes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"SSchwalbe" wrote in message
I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type to be in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark 1150

printer.

That looks kind of chartreuse on my screen. I would add more red, I think
(in fact, I have to run it all the way up to 255 to get something that looks
"gold" to me).

I recently made a graphic that was supposed to be gold on red, and the color
I used (in Publisher) was Accent 2 (Gold), which is 225, 204, 0).

wrote:

You're unlikely to find a single color that will really much resemble
metallic gold, and since fonts in Word can't be formatted with a

gradient,
you'll have to settle for a single color, which will be a sort of
orangey-yellow. There are only two ways that I know of to get true

metallic
gold:

1. Use a desktop printer that takes a gold ink cartridge in place of

black.
In this case, you set the type as black (Automatic) as usual, but it

comes
out gold.

2. Ditto for a commercial printer. You set the copy in black, and he

prints
it with gold ink.

so
all may benefit.

"SSchwalbe" wrote in message
I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type to be

in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark 1150

printer.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Suzanne

With 2 computers at home and several more at different work sites, I remain
astonished at how differently the same colour displays on different
monitors, and even on the same monitor in slightly different lighting
conditions.

And different colour printers will produce slightly different colours from
the same document, too.

But the best gold I've ever seen done just with ordinary screen colours is
in the vertical border at http://www.helpmaster.com/index.htm. I think it's
the shading that provides the illusion of shine.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote:

You're unlikely to find a single color that will really much resemble
metallic gold, and since fonts in Word can't be formatted with a

gradient,
you'll have to settle for a single color, which will be a sort of
orangey-yellow. There are only two ways that I know of to get true

metallic
gold:

1. Use a desktop printer that takes a gold ink cartridge in place of

black.
In this case, you set the type as black (Automatic) as usual, but it

comes
out gold.

2. Ditto for a commercial printer. You set the copy in black, and he

prints
it with gold ink.

newsgroup

so
all may benefit.

"SSchwalbe" wrote in message
I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type to
be

in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark 1150
printer.

Graham Mayor

The last time this came up was a few years ago when the posted answer
included the following:

Here's a good reference to Gold (and Silver and Bronze) using CMYK:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/fea...l?origin=story

Translated to RGB in Corel Draw 10 gives you:

Gold = RGB 199 177 25 OR HLS 52 44 78

I have since used these figures quite satisfactorily in some of my own
documents.

Shauna Kelly wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"SSchwalbe" wrote in message
I am writing up a 50th wedding invitation and would like the type
to be

in
gold. What combinations of colors should I try? I have a Lexmark
1150 printer.

Klaus Linke

And even if you had a gold printer cartridge, it would be difficult to =
have a printed gold cup or coin look "real".
Metals just reflect light differently than other surfaces... much like a =
mirror:
http://home.eol.ca/~props/metall.htm
http://www.geocities.com/~jlhagan/ad...goldsilver.htm

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You're unlikely to find a single color that will really much resemble
metallic gold, and since fonts in Word can't be formatted with a =

gradient,
you'll have to settle for a single color, which will be a sort of
orangey-yellow. There are only two ways that I know of to get true =

metallic
gold:
=20
1. Use a desktop printer that takes a gold ink cartridge in place of =

black.
In this case, you set the type as black (Automatic) as usual, but it =

comes
out gold.
=20
2. Ditto for a commercial printer. You set the copy in black, and he =

prints
it with gold ink.
=20
--=20
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the =

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
=20