Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jean-Pierre

Default Numbering of equations

I am using WORD2002-SP3, with W2K-SP4

I write equations using the equation editor included in WORD. I want to
number these equations automatically. There for I use the insert a "caption"
from the "Insert - Reference - Caption" menu. I place this caption at the
right edge of the line of the equation using the right tabulation. Thus the
"caption is located in the same paragraph as the equation, which is what I
want, as I want the equation number to be on the same line as the equation.

Note : I defined a "new" label as "[Ed. ". The caption is thus not a
"standard" caption.

It works fine : the equations are sequentially numbered and the number comes
on the right place, at the far-right end of the equation line.

The problem comes when I want to reference an equation somewhere in the text
: I use the menu item "Insert - Reference - Cross reference" and then choose
the correct equation in the list. Whatever I ask to insert ("Entire caption"
/ "Only label and number" / "Only caption text") the whole line gets
inserted, i.e. the complete equation, the caption label and the equation
number.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to insert only the equation number and not
the whole line (paragraph ?).

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Unfortunately, Word inserts the caption bookmark around the whole paragraph.
The only way to avoid this (short of getting MathType) is to put the
equation and its caption in the left and right cells of a single-row,
two-column borderless table. If you save a sample table (with dummy equation
and caption) as an AutoText entry, it is fairly trivial to insert.

"Jean-Pierre" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jean-Pierre

Thank you for the idea.

I try to put it to work.

Jean-Pierre
=======================
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unfortunately, Word inserts the caption bookmark around the whole

paragraph.
The only way to avoid this (short of getting MathType) is to put the
equation and its caption in the left and right cells of a single-row,
two-column borderless table. If you save a sample table (with dummy

equation
and caption) as an AutoText entry, it is fairly trivial to insert.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jean-Pierre

I tried the idea, placing a dummy equation and caption in a table (2 col, 1
line, borderless) and defining it in an autotext entry. Borders were deleted
through the menu "Format / Borders and shadings / Borders - none " . The
whole table (including the paragraph mark) was selected before doing so

However, when I insert a new such "table", the dummy equation number
increases, which is correct, but the new table is inserted WITH borders.

Can it be avoided, or do I have to delete the borders every time ?

Jean-Pierre
=========================
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you're in Word 2002 or 2003, instead of just removing the borders (before
creating your AutoText entry), try applying the Table Normal table style
(instead of Table Grid). If this doesn't help, a quick shortcut to remove
table borders is Ctrl+Alt+U (or use the No Borders button on the Borders
flyout on the Formatting toolbar).

If you're not using any bordered tables elsewhere in the document, you might
want to select Table Normal as the default table AutoFormat for your
document (Table | Table AutoFormat | Table Normal: Default...).

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jean-Pierre

Thank you very much for the procedure. I try it soon.

Jean-Pierre