Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
weim10

Default averages in word table

I'm trying to create an evaluation form using a table in Word. In the
middle of the table is a section with ten rows and eight columns in which the
1st column is a lable, columns 2-6 are numerical values (for daily scores) or
empty and the 7th column is an average in which the sum is divided by the
number of cells in the row that actually have a numeric value in them because
some of the cells will be empty if a particular activity is not observed on a
certain day.
Is this possible, without using Macros?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil

weim10 was telling us:
weim10 nous racontait que :

I'm trying to create an evaluation form using a table in Word. In
the middle of the table is a section with ten rows and eight columns
in which the 1st column is a lable, columns 2-6 are numerical values
(for daily scores) or empty and the 7th column is an average in which
the sum is divided by the number of cells in the row that actually
have a numeric value in them because some of the cells will be empty
if a particular activity is not observed on a certain day.
Is this possible, without using Macros?

Probably, but you will need fairly complicated formula (Where is Macropod?)

It would be a lot easier in Excel.
Set it up in Excel (Ask for the fairly simple formula in the Excel group)
and then copy/paste the table in Word using Edit Paste Special Link so
that whenever you update the values in Excel, they will update in Word.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Here is the site to which Macropod probably would have directed you:

For a tutorial on formula field coding, check out:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"weim10" wrote in message
I'm trying to create an evaluation form using a table in Word. In the
middle of the table is a section with ten rows and eight columns in which
the
1st column is a lable, columns 2-6 are numerical values (for daily scores)
or
empty and the 7th column is an average in which the sum is divided by the
number of cells in the row that actually have a numeric value in them
because
some of the cells will be empty if a particular activity is not observed
on a
certain day.
Is this possible, without using Macros?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans

An AVERAGE Formula Field will do this.

In the seventh column of row 1, say, insert a formula field containing
=AVERAGE(b1:f1) and this will give the average of the numeric values in
cells 2 through 6 of row 1.

You'll need to adjust the cell references to include the cells you want (I
can't tell precisely from your post).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"weim10" wrote in message
I'm trying to create an evaluation form using a table in Word. In the
middle of the table is a section with ten rows and eight columns in which

the
1st column is a lable, columns 2-6 are numerical values (for daily scores)

or
empty and the 7th column is an average in which the sum is divided by the
number of cells in the row that actually have a numeric value in them

because
some of the cells will be empty if a particular activity is not observed

on a
certain day.
Is this possible, without using Macros?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The trick is that he wants to include only the cells that have values, and
there's no way to determine that except manually or with some sort of macro.
I gather that he knows how to do it manually but wants to automate the
process.

Okay, I just tried this, and it seems that the AVERAGE function does in fact
ignore empty cells, so it should work.

"weim10" wrote in message
I'm trying to create an evaluation form using a table in Word. In the
middle of the table is a section with ten rows and eight columns in

which
the
1st column is a lable, columns 2-6 are numerical values (for daily

scores)
or
empty and the 7th column is an average in which the sum is divided by

the
number of cells in the row that actually have a numeric value in them

because
some of the cells will be empty if a particular activity is not observed

on a
certain day.
Is this possible, without using Macros?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil

Tony Jollans was telling us:
Tony Jollans nous racontait que :

An AVERAGE Formula Field will do this.

In the seventh column of row 1, say, insert a formula field containing
=AVERAGE(b1:f1) and this will give the average of the numeric values
in cells 2 through 6 of row 1.

You'll need to adjust the cell references to include the cells you
want (I can't tell precisely from your post).

Who knew Word was so smart!
I did not know that AVERAGE ignored non numerical values.

But make sure that your "empty" cells do not have a numerical date, a 0 or a
negative number, etc.

--
Salut!