Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
misso misso is offline

Default Inserting Header Text into Table of Contents

Hello

I am trying to insert some header text into a table of contents. I
have created a style called "Article Heading" but when creating the
table of contents, even by selecting the style as Level 1 TOC, it says
"Error. No table of Contents Entries found". I tried applying the
Style of Heading 1 to the header text, but still it won't appear in
the Table of Contents.

Can you insert header text into a table of contents?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Caroline
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

No, text in headers (or footers) can not be included with the TOC. This
actually makes sense, because headers are usually repeated on several pages.
Which page number should be used in the TOC?

What you can do is place the heading in the document body and use a STYLEREF
field to also include it in the header. Or, if you don't want the heading
text in the document, add a TC field and make sure to include it in the TOC
(see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP