thelisha

Default Page Numbers in Table of Contents

Hello,
I am having a tough time figuring out why the page numbers in my TOC are not
showing up correctly. I thought I was pretty Word savvy but I do not know
what it is that I am doing wrong. I am formatting a policy manual at my job
and they want the page numbers to be formatted as such; 1-10 meaning Chapter
1 page 10. The numbers show up correctly in the manual but when I generate a
TOC it just shows the page numbers as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have looked at some
articles on Shauna Kelly's site but my numbering is still not correct. If
anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this I would really appreciate any
guidance!
Thank you,
Thelisha Woods

thelisha

Thank you for responding, it seems I am having difficultly with that very
feature "include chapter number". Every time I mark the checkbox to use the
chapter numbers, I get the message that "there is no chapter number to
include in the caption or page number . . ." It tells me to use the Bullets
and Numbering command to do that, and I believe that is where my problem
begins. I am not sure what it means when they want you to link the heading
styles to numbering? Perhaps I am making this harder than it truly is and
my understanding of this feature may be wrong, but I am not sure how to go
about doing this. I applied styles and everything else in the TOC is correct
except for the page numbering. My page numbering is showing up as I wish in
the text in this format (1-10) but I do not understand the concept of
getting the page numbers to show up that way in the TOC. Any other assistance
would be greatly appreciated!
Thelisha

"thelisha" wrote in message
Hello,
I am having a tough time figuring out why the page numbers in my TOC are

not
showing up correctly. I thought I was pretty Word savvy but I do not know
what it is that I am doing wrong. I am formatting a policy manual at my

job
and they want the page numbers to be formatted as such; 1-10 meaning

Chapter
1 page 10. The numbers show up correctly in the manual but when I generate

TOC it just shows the page numbers as 1, 2, 3, etc. I have looked at some
articles on Shauna Kelly's site but my numbering is still not correct. If
anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this I would really appreciate

any
guidance!
Thank you,
Thelisha Woods

Did you read the article I referred you to? In order to include a chapter
number in your page number, the chapter number must be the autonumber of a
paragraph in one of the built-in heading styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The TOC will not include chapter numbers unless they have been made part

of
the page number using the "Include chapter number" feature. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"thelisha" wrote in message
[...]

thelisha

Hello,
Yes, thank you for the link to the article, I read that article before and
tried the steps but it still is not coming out right. I guess it could either
be something I am not doing right or because the document I am trying to
format has been worked on many times by numerous people so there is no
telling what other formatting codes could be causing the problem! So I may
just take all the page numbering off and try all over again to see what the
problem is. Thank you for your help with my issue.
Thelisha

"thelisha" wrote in message
[...]

thelisha

Hi Suzanne,
Now I see what the problem with my document. Turns out, other parts of the
document that were not section heads, had been formatted with the built in
heading styles and those were not linked to any chapter headings of course so
it was causing all sorts of weird page numbering to occur. So I am going
through the document and changing those styles and so far, I am able use the
outline numbering tool to get the page numbers to show up correctly in the
TOC. Thanks for your responses to my questions!
Thelisha