sjschmidtky

Default Columns that stay on one side with pictures & footnotes

I have an unusual formatting situation - I have a memoir written by my Danish
Great Grandfather and I want to present the translation in the left column
and the English translation on the right. I also want to include footnotes
and insert pictures throughout that help illustrate parts of the memoir. I
essentially want each column to not do an automatic column break but continue
on the same side for subsequent pages. Then, the original text and the
English translation would appear on their own sides through subsequent pages.
I want to insert pictures in "artistic" ways on the pages and have the text
surround the picture wherever I may place it (in the middle or off-center on
the page of two columns).

I've investigated three options: columns, tables, text boxes. Columns
requires that I keep fiddling with manual pagination and putting in column
breaks - a pain in the neck. Tables work well, but I can only put the
pictures in one column or the other and I can't put them where they might
span columns. Text boxes requires that I put text boxes on multiple pages
(the text could span up to 30 pages), but then I can't use footnotes in text
boxes.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might solve my problem and get
everything I want?

Would I be better served using Publisher (does it handle footnotes) or
another product that does everything I want?

Thanks,
Steve
Anne Troy

Tables don't require too much fiddling... that's what I'd be using.
Your pictures are likely inserting as Inline with text. You can Split a
table cell into two, center the center cell, and put your picture there.

All in all, however, I think that if I were you, I'd skip the whole
side-by-side thing. Why don't you make one document with the original
language, and another with the translation? Then, you can print one on back
of the other, so that when someone has your book open, they can see one
language on one side, and the other on the other side. You can keep all your
pictures in just one of the documents. Yes, you'll have to fiddle with
pagebreaks, but it will give you much more freedom with graphic placement.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"sjschmidtky" wrote in message
news
[...]

CyberTaz

With all due respect to the other suggestions offered to _each_ of your
_four_ posts, the only way to get the results as you seem to envision the
finished product is with a capable page layout program, such as QuarkXPress
or InDesign. anything else is going to fall short in one or more ways.

As they are fairly expensive for a single project, you might also google the
web to see if you can come up with a copy of the now-defunct PageMaker at a
more reasonable price. It will handle you layout concerns, although automatic
footnotes may still be lacking.

Good Luck |:)

"sjschmidtky" wrote:

[...]

sjschmidtky

Cyber Taz,

I just downloaded a temporary evaluation copy of Quark and did a quick help
search for footnotes and came up empty. Can Quark actually do footnotes?
--
Steve

"sjschmidtky" wrote:

[...]

CyberTaz

Sorry to mislead you, but I try to avoid partiality as much as I can.

The fact is that QX doesn't directly support footnotes, although there are
add-in for it that do.

InDesign (CS2) does now offer a built-in footnote/endnote feature. I have
not yet used it, but what I have read sounds very good.

Regards |:)