Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

Default template with editable and non-editable areas

I am trying to create a template with a header (+logo), footer and boxed
area in the centre for editable text. I have basically finished the
layout, but cannot work out how to make the header, footer and the
box-shape un-editable vs.the area inside the box editable. I would be
grateful if anyone can either give me some advice or point me to a
tutorial that could give me help on editable and protected areas of a
template document.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi Paul

In Word 2003, do Tools Protection. You can mark individual areas of the
document and make them editable.

In earlier versions of Word, see
How can I prevent users from editing the header of a document in Word 2000
or higher?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...PlusHeader.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Paul" wrote in message
I am trying to create a template with a header (+logo), footer and boxed
area in the centre for editable text. I have basically finished the layout,
but cannot work out how to make the header, footer and the box-shape
un-editable vs.the area inside the box editable. I would be grateful if
anyone can either give me some advice or point me to a tutorial that could
give me help on editable and protected areas of a template document.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

You could use one or more form fields inside a border for your boxed area or
you could use a separate section for your boxed area. Word 2003 has some
other options but the entire document becomes uneditable when opened in an
earlier version.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Paul" wrote in message
I am trying to create a template with a header (+logo), footer and boxed
area in the centre for editable text. I have basically finished the layout,
but cannot work out how to make the header, footer and the box-shape
un-editable vs.the area inside the box editable. I would be grateful if
anyone can either give me some advice or point me to a tutorial that could
give me help on editable and protected areas of a template document.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply. As far as I can see, the form
inserts small rectangles that only allows 4 characters.
My "form" basically consists of almost the whole page. Does that mean
one has to click on the "ab" box 10x per row to add an editable area?
None of the tutorial links showed a possibility of turning such a large
area into a form. It seems a rather complicated procedure when
converting such a large area into an editable area.
Regards
Paul
Charles Kenyon wrote:
What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

You could use one or more form fields inside a border for your boxed area or
you could use a separate section for your boxed area. Word 2003 has some
other options but the entire document becomes uneditable when opened in an
earlier version.

Hope this helps,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

A form field will accept far more than a row of characters. Have you
actually tried using this? Please read Dian Chapman's articles, at least the
first one.
--

Charles Kenyon wrote:
What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check
this in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially
Dian Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

You could use one or more form fields inside a border for your boxed area
or you could use a separate section for your boxed area. Word 2003 has
some other options but the entire document becomes uneditable when opened
in an earlier version.

Hope this helps,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What you're seeing is just a placeholder. It will expand to hold up to a
page of text. If you want to allow a specific area for the text form field,
put it in a (borderless) table cell with specified height and width.

Charles Kenyon wrote:
What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check

this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially

Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

You could use one or more form fields inside a border for your boxed

area or
you could use a separate section for your boxed area. Word 2003 has some
other options but the entire document becomes uneditable when opened in

an
earlier version.

Hope this helps,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul

Charles Kenyon wrote:
A form field will accept far more than a row of characters. Have you
actually tried using this? Please read Dian Chapman's articles, at least the
first one.

Yes I have - but I am totally lost. :-((