Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Default Remove Temporary Files

User has Word 2002, SP3

She claims that some years ago on a previous PC with the same version of
Word, someone was able to get rid of her ~$ files permanently. Either they
were not created, or they were created somewhere she did not see them, she
doesn't know for sure. I'm not aware of any way to hide, remove or move the
location of these files. Yes, I know you can delete them when they are
retained after a crash. Is there a way to do that this user wants?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Brenda from Michigan wrote:
User has Word 2002, SP3

She claims that some years ago on a previous PC with the same version
of Word, someone was able to get rid of her ~$ files permanently.
Either they were not created, or they were created somewhere she did
not see them, she doesn't know for sure. I'm not aware of any way to
hide, remove or move the location of these files. Yes, I know you
can delete them when they are retained after a crash. Is there a way
to do that this user wants?

You cannot under any circumstances prevent Word from creating temporary
files. See the explanation at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632.

There are some things you can do so you don't have to see them unless you
want to:

- Many of the temporary files must always be in the same folder as the
document, as explained in the KB article. So avoid storing documents
directly on the desktop so their temp files won't be there. Use the My
Documents folder or any other subfolder on the disk, but not the desktop. To
make frequently used documents accessible from the desktop, make shortcuts
by right-clicking the icon where the document actually lives and choosing
Send To Desktop (as shortcut).

- To make this organization easier, set the Documents folder in Tools
Options File Locations to the most frequently used location. Add other
common locations to the pane on the left side of the Save As and Open
dialogs
(http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...gscontent.htm).

- Do clean up after crashes:
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Thanks much; that's what I thought. After reading your answer to her, doing
a remote and showing her how the ~$ files work and when she can delete them,
she's now a happy camper. Thanks for your help.

Temporary Files melizabeth New Users 1 July 25th 08 05:17 PM
Temporary ~WRL files MamaGrubb Microsoft Word Help 4 December 29th 07 06:44 PM
Temporary files Joanb Microsoft Word Help 2 October 16th 07 06:02 AM
Temporary files: Beverly New Users 2 April 21st 06 10:52 AM
Temporary FIles kimjs97 New Users 2 March 19th 06 07:28 PM