Jeff

Default Alphabetizing text

I plan to scan a list of names and convert it into text which I will import
into Word 2002. Is there a way for Word to sort this list based on the
second word (which is the surname) in each line rather than the first word?

Thanks.

--

Jeff

Jeff

I'm not sure I understand. You say "search" but I am wondering if sort (not
search) can occur based on the second word. The only sort I can find in
Word is under "Table" and it does not have an option to use the second word
(that I can find).

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
I plan to scan a list of names and convert it into text which I will
import into Word 2002. Is there a way for Word to sort this list
based on the second word (which is the surname) in each line rather
than the first word?

Thanks.

--

Jeff

Graham Mayor

This is a bit tricky to explain. The sort tool (table sort) by default
will show sort by paragraphs or fields when not used in a table. Select
'fields' and under 'options' set the field separator to space. This will
change 'fields' to Word1. Run the sort and quit the sort tool. Then run the
sort tool again and you should find that you now have further choices. As
Suzanne indicates, it can be a bit fiddly.