No online templates for Word 2007??

Old February 20th 07, 06:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Firewalker

Default No online templates for Word 2007??

When I start a new document and want to use a template from Microsoft Office
Online via the "New Document" screen, it tells me "There is currently no
content available for..." whatever catagory I choose.
If I click on "Featured", it tells me "Unable to connect to Microsoft Office
Online" even though I am connected and am able to do other stuff online like
email and web browsing.
Have I missed a setting in Word somewhere that blocks the content of
Microsoft Office Online.
I've checked through Microsoft Update, and have all current updates for my
Microsoft products. Could this be a problem with Windows Vista Firewall?

I don't think it's a hardware problem, but here's my specs just in case:
Asus A8V-E SE Motherboard w/most current BIOS installed
VIA K8T890 Chipset
3 GB DDR400 Memory
ATI Radeon X1650 w/512MB onboard
Windows Vista Ultimate
Microsoft Office Professional 2007
Old February 20th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Firewalker

Firewalker wrote:
When I start a new document and want to use a template from Microsoft Office
Online via the "New Document" screen, it tells me "There is currently no
content available for..." whatever catagory I choose.
If I click on "Featured", it tells me "Unable to connect to Microsoft Office
Online" even though I am connected and am able to do other stuff online like
email and web browsing.
Have I missed a setting in Word somewhere that blocks the content of
Microsoft Office Online.
I've checked through Microsoft Update, and have all current updates for my
Microsoft products. Could this be a problem with Windows Vista Firewall?

Firewall and/or Antivirus software, that would be my guess indeed.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Old February 21st 07, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Firewalker

Would you have any suggestions on how to fix it?
Unfortunately, I'm not up to snuff on configuring Windows Firewall. I've
always used a add-on firewall application until now, but they haven't updated
their software for compatability yet.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Firewalker

Old February 21st 07, 09:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Firewalker wrote:
Would you have any suggestions on how to fix it?
Unfortunately, I'm not up to snuff on configuring Windows Firewall. I've
always used a add-on firewall application until now, but they haven't updated
their software for compatability yet.

For compatibility with what?

Sorry, I'm struggling with these things myself frequently. Your best bet
is to hop over to one of groups dealing with your OS.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Old February 21st 07, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Firewalker,

In Word 2007 bring up the help dialog (blue question mark at the top right of the Ribbon tabs/menu bar).

At the bottom right of the help dialog does it say 'Offline'? If so, click there to turn on the 'Show content from Office Online'
choice and try using the Templates choice again (you may need to restart Word).

If that choice already shows 'Connected to Office Online' then open your firewall product (usually from an icon in the 'system
tray'/notification area in thelower right of your Windows taskbar and set it to allow Word 2007 to be able to access the Internet.

You can also use your browser to go to http://office.microsoft.com/templates

=================
"Firewalker" wrote in message ...
[...]

MS Office System Products MVP

Old February 23rd 07, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Firewalker

It says that I'm "Connected to Office Online", but now I've noticed a new
quirk to add to the mix. When I try to access Help, the box pops up and says
opens Office Online's Home Page in Internet Explorer (which is no help at
all).
I looked in Windows Firewall and no Office 2007 applications are even
listed, so I added winword.exe manually to allow it through the firewall, but
it still won't work correctly.

Don't know if this would make any difference, but I installed Office Pro
2007 on XP just before I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Unfortunately, I didn't
see if any of this was a problem before upgrading to Vista.

I probably could have overlooked to inability to get templates directly
through Word, but not having any Help screens to operate a completely new
program?? Especially a behemoth like Office?? ::maniacal laughter:: I think
I'm gonna have to stock up on tranquilizers!! X-(

Old February 24th 07, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Firewalker

Got it fixed!!
Couldn't find any other reason for Word to be acting this way, so I tried
the old tried and true method......Uninstall it and throw it
awa...er...re-install it. Turned off UAC in Vista before re-installing though.
I understand MS's reasoning behind UAC, but unless they do some serious
retooling quickly, I believe UAC may be a complete trainwreck...almost as bad
as MS's Bob. The thing screws up more stuff than it fixes.

Old June 11th 20, 11:29 AM
annaost annaost is offline

Wink

How about to install a new one or reload it? I also often have problems online, but there are sites that help me with this. Of course if there is a good description of my favorite games.

Last edited by annaost : June 11th 20 at 03:13 PM.