Compare 2 word docs side by side (Left Right not Top-Bottom)

Old February 2nd 09, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RN

Default Compare 2 word docs side by side (Left Right not Top-Bottom)

With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical space I
want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but I can't figure
out how to do this without manually resizing what Word sets up.
Old February 2nd 09, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

RN wrote:
With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical
space I want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but I
can't figure out how to do this without manually resizing what Word
sets up.

From your mention of the ribbon, I assume you have Word 2007.

Open both documents. Then click View View Side-by-Side. You may also need
to click View Reset Window Position to get the two documents to share the
screen equally. By default the Synchronous Scrolling button is turned on, so
scrolling one document will scroll the other equally.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old February 2nd 09, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RN

I know how to do the side by side comparison but it always uses Top-Bottom.
There is no option to do Left-Right. So you must manually drag and resize
windows. And the windows only have the lower righ resize option now. So you
have to move as well as resize.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

RN wrote:
With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical
space I want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but I
can't figure out how to do this without manually resizing what Word
sets up.

From your mention of the ribbon, I assume you have Word 2007.

Old February 2nd 09, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have a version of Word that offers Side by Side (Word 2003 or 2007),
it is NOT over and under but side by side.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

RN wrote:
With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical
space I want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but I
can't figure out how to do this without manually resizing what Word
sets up.

From your mention of the ribbon, I assume you have Word 2007.

Old February 3rd 09, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RN

I use Word 2007 and it opens top and bottom and not left and right. I just
verified it. I tried view side by side. Then for completeness I tried
arrange all. Both result in top bottom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have a version of Word that offers Side by Side (Word 2003 or 2007),
it is NOT over and under but side by side.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

RN wrote:
With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical
space I want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but I
can't figure out how to do this without manually resizing what Word
sets up.

From your mention of the ribbon, I assume you have Word 2007.

Old February 3rd 09, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By default it certainly opens side by side. If you have rearranged the Word
panes at any time, Word may default to your last arrangement. Try dragging
them to a side-by-side arrangement, close the windows, and try again.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have a version of Word that offers Side by Side (Word 2003 or
2007),
it is NOT over and under but side by side.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

RN wrote:
With wide aspect ratio screens and a ribbon bar that steals vertical
space I want to compare 2 documents Left - Right not Top-Bottom but
can't figure out how to do this without manually resizing what Word
sets up.

From your mention of the ribbon, I assume you have Word 2007.

Open both documents. Then click View View Side-by-Side. You may also
need
to click View Reset Window Position to get the two documents to
share
the
screen equally. By default the Synchronous Scrolling button is turned
on,
so
scrolling one document will scroll the other equally.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup