Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Oriana Oriana is offline

Default Generate TOC from Page Headers?

Hi all!

Is there a way I can generate a table of contents from Page Headers? I
don't want the table of contents to link to text actually in the body of the
document, but to the page headers themselves.

So, let's say the page header on page 2 says "Introduction," but that word
isn't present anywhere else on the page (and I don't want it to be). How can
I get the table of contents to recognize "Introduction" in the header?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It would be possible to insert TC fields in the document on appropriate pages
(such as the first page of each section) and then build the table of contents
from only the TC fields. The TC fields are automatically formatted as Hidden
text, so they won't appear unless you turn on display of Hidden text.

To get the TOC created from TC fields, click the Options button in the Table of
Contents dialog, uncheck the Styles box and the Outline Levels box, and check
the "Table entry fields" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Oriana" wrote in message
Hi all!

Is there a way I can generate a table of contents from Page Headers? I
don't want the table of contents to link to text actually in the body of
the
document, but to the page headers themselves.

So, let's say the page header on page 2 says "Introduction," but that word
isn't present anywhere else on the page (and I don't want it to be). How
can
I get the table of contents to recognize "Introduction" in the header?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Need Info[_2_] Need Info[_2_] is offline

To Suzanne:

Question:

How do I exclude one section within a header from being repeated on every
page?

Example: I have written a Standard Operating Procedure manual. I want all
aspects to change on every page within the header as they normally do, except
each page will have a different section title, and I need that to remain
individually editable on each page.

Any suggestions?

Thanks